ADSL modem/routers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zoran, Oct 6, 2005.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

What ADSLmodem/router can be the optimum selection i can make to purchase for a G5 computer + the fact that i want to connect to that ADSL line another 2 PCs. Use USB or Ethernet ports? The PCs are on the top floor of my flat so i will prolly need about 10meters of ethernet cable, i dont want to use wireless.
    Any suggestions?

Are there any how to's on making sutch a network connection? Im a total noob on this matter.

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Ethernet will be much better than USB (so long as your PCs have ethernet ports). Most ADSL modems have pretty poor USB drivers for Macs.

If you don't want to go wireless, then any 4-port router should be fine. I've set up a D-link and a Belkin without any problems (can't recall model numbers I'm afraid) but they should pretty much be plug and play.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Are there any how to's on making sutch a network connection? Im a total noob on this matter.

4. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I have a D-Link G604T wireless router.

It has my iMac connected to it via ethernet cable, iBook and PC and printer connected wirelessly. When you buy a router it will most definitly come with a getting started guide. Also the D-link.com.au has the manuals online, also many people here will be able to help you.

If I remember correctly there is a guide on here for networking aswell.

5. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I second the D-Link G604T or 'Goat' as it's called in our house. Pretty easy to set up.