AdSubtract equivalent?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kant, Jul 16, 2005.

1. kant macrumors 6502

Finally switched full time and am missing adsubtract. Is there a mac equivalent?

For those of you not familiar with it, AdSubtract allows browser independent ad, cookie, and pop-up blocking. I particularly like the ability to whitelist cookies and to turn it on/off with a single click.

Edit: Here is a great description/review of AdSubtract

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

If you need the browser independence, there is Junkbuster/Guidescope. For Safari there is PithHelmet, for Firefox there is the Adblock plugin. Both of these are quite powerful although I'm not familiar enough with them to know if they do or don't offer what you're looking for.

3. kant thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a matter of "need" the browser independence. It's just that it is very convenient. As we all know there is no single browser for all sites and times. Unfortunately. The guidescope service looks interesting and I will definitely give it a try if I can't find a client program that works similarily. Thanks.

4. kant thread starter macrumors 6502

Except they don't have a mac client. Bah. :(

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I used to run junkbuster from the command line when I ran Linux. I know there's a Mac version. I think it's just Guidescope minus the GUI - you control the filter by editing its config file. I get along with the two separate blockers (PithHelmet & Adblock) now though, since it's not important to me that the ad blocking in both Safari and Firefox work EXACTLY the same way. 95% accuracy is good enough for me!