Aduim/Msn/Yahoo/ichat ect.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MervilleMudders, Oct 1, 2006.

1. MervilleMudders macrumors newbie

MervilleMudders

None of those work for Macs to use for voice or cams, I just bought a new Macbook with a built in cam and mic, but i cant even use it. So far the only way i can use it with other people is if i pay for a Mac Ichat account, thats BS! With yahoo i can get the cam to work, but no voice, with msn i get nothing, i even went thro a jabber account thro ichat, to see if that works, nope! Anyone had better luck than me?:confused:

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

ichat is not confined to .mac accounts

Attached Files:

3. JDN macrumors 6502a

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I use my iSight with iChat, Skype, Yahoo! Messenger, and Mercury Messenger and it works just fine. No other purchases are required.

5. MervilleMudders thread starter macrumors newbie

MervilleMudders

so i just read up on Skype video beta, and the other person has to download the program to!

6. tvguru macrumors 6502

Same with, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

Usually you get a better response if you don't make duplicate threads in the different forums.:rolleyes:

7. MervilleMudders thread starter macrumors newbie

MervilleMudders

oh so negative, im just learning ok buddy, but hey, you read it!lol

8. tvguru macrumors 6502

Negative, sure, but if I hadn't told you you wouldn't have learnt. ;)

MSN doesn't support video or audio on the Mac. If you want to do video with your friends on MSN get aMSN. It's not as nice as the normal MSN but it supports video and audio. However, I don't think it lets you do both at the same time.

iChat you can add regular AIM buddies to it and audio and video chat with them. It doesn't always work perfect but it does work. Used it for a couple of years before my g/f bought a Mac.

Most ppl here use Adium. It supports all the major instant messengers, but doesn't have video or audio support.

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

iChat works with AIM as well. You can have a video conference with others who use AIM or iChat.

10. frogfroggy macrumors member

I have also a question, soon I will go to a different city to study and I want to videochat and talk cause I bought her a new iMac and for myself the macbook. If I want to use iChat do I HAVE to have an account for AIM or .Mac ? Or can somehow the two computer connect thru the internet and talk ?

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

just sign up for a free AIM username at aim.com

12. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

*Spelling nazi*

The proper abbreviation is "etc." and not "ect." Etc. stands for et cetera. It's also pronounced the way it is spelled, "et-setera," in case you happen to pronounce it incorrectly as "eck-setera." Just remember, the abbreviation is the first 3 letters of the word in this case.

*End spelling nazi*

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's best to get an AIM account... It's technically possible to do it directly, assuming you both have control over firewalls, but it is much better to just use the screenname and AIM....

14. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

[Spelling nazi no.2]
    No, that would actually read as "ec-tetera". It annoys me a lot as I know of at least two small businesses within a few minutes walk of my house that use "ect.".
    [/Spelling nazi no.2]

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Maybe they perform electroconvulsive therapy and have issues with capitalization? :eek: ;) :D

16. KevKaos macrumors 6502

There is another free service Sightspeed which has gotten some good press. I have not had any luck loading it on my PC, but they say that the image is one of the best you can get.

17. mdknapp macrumors newbie

Ted Wallingford has a nice detailed overview of some of the non-iChat mac video conferencing options:
    http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/09/30/mac-voip-video-tools-new-features-just-keep-comin/

His summary:
    So, the Mac offerings for VoIP and video communications are truly exceptional--and the most exceptional of those Sightspeed, is probably the one I would try first, if I were just getting into this stuff.

I tend to agree with his assessment.

18. KevKaos macrumors 6502

I wish I could get it to load on my PC because I video chat with my kids every week (just spend an hour with them online before loggin on here). I am wanting to switch over to a Mac this year, but if I can't get Sightspeed to load on my PC, I may have a tough time getting the kids to load it. Everything I have read on it says that it ROCKS.

19. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Don't be so quick to post fiery "Apple BS" posts when you're new here.

20. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm sorry, but...WOW. How else do you think it's going to work? :rolleyes:

If you really want to video chat with someone, I recommend getting Skype no matter what other services you normally use for IM. Their audio and video compression quality is the best out there, and it's free so what do you have to lose? When I want to vidchat with somebody, we arrange it first on AIM or GTalk (for which I use Adium): "Hey want to Skype?" "Sure." And we both sign on Skype and connect. I've tried the AIM video calls with the native client on a Windows machine and Skype blows the pants off of it anyway.

21. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I still don't see why you don't just use iChat with your AIM account.