Adult Swim salutes Apple

Discussion in 'Community' started by BaghdadBob, Jul 16, 2003.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

OK, I'm an "Adult Swim" watcher -- that's the late night block of Anime and other less kid-oriented animation like Futurama and Family guy, on Cartoon Network -- and for a few weeks their bumpers have been little white on black text slides with various text commentary set to electronic beats.

Usually these are funny, sometimes they're in the business of giving props. This Sunday they were making me laugh my ass off making fun of all the thirteen-year-olds who have polluted their message boards complaining about the fact that they took Inuyasha off the air after repeating their available episodes like five times, and in preparation for a new season in August.

Well, tonight they had a message at one point that went something like this:

"To Woz and Jobs
    And all the folks at Cupertino
    Thanks for getting it
    And producing this fine gear
    Without which, making these cards would be a much bigger chore
    Keeping the faith
    [much respect]"

Heavy paraphrasing, but pretty close.

I thought that was damn cool. But I already knew they used macs because early on they had a card set that was talking about why they use "Helvetica Neue" as their font...and after giving a brief explanation they go through a list of possible fonts, many of which are Mac exclusives, some old skool, some newer.

Chalk one up for the team!

AS is on 8:00-11:00 PST if you're on DTV. Which is now. Out.

2. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

that's pretty cool. i gave up cable when i started my biz, so i havent's seen Adult Swim in weeks (but for the tapes my friends deliver). But sweet anyway.

3. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I don't get the Cartoon Network and have never seen Adult Swim, but that is pretty cool nonetheless.

What business did you start up trebblekicked?

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

vid producion, equipment rental, some graphics and composite work. i do it out of the house, so i wanted to minimize distraction.

i think adult swim is pretty hit or miss, but when it's on it's very on. Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen Hunger Force each had a couple of classic episodes. it's worth watching if you can find a tape of it.

5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have caught a few episodes and they were hilarious!

Good luck on the Business! Remember if you pay your bills then the biz is a success. :) (At least that is the definition that I use for mine. Seems to have worked for the last 3 years. :D)

6. couch potato macrumors regular

yeah i just started watching Futurama and Family Guy:D they were talking about how it take 2 million to make a simsons episode and 1.2 million to make futurama:eek: or is that billion?

7. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

That seems like a bit much. I thought the hard part of an animated series was getting it up and running. Then it's supposed to be much easier and cheaper. :confused:

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I admire your determination - I would never get rid of cable.

I have never watched the Cartoon Network by my own will.... I have never been a big fan of cartoons, and that include anime.

scem0

9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Watch:

Sealab 2021

Best 15 Minute Show. PERIOD! (Wait, I put an exclamation mark...)
    PERIOD.

Its a Great Show, Seriously I watch CN just for that block of shows.

Family guy is OK
    Futurama pretty good
    Sealab 2021 --pwns all
    BIIRRDDD MMAAANN -- a funny show
    Auqa Teen Hunger Force -- Not so great
    Cowboy Bebop -- kicks ass
    InuYasha -- Again, kicks
    Trigun -- Wow, again a gun-slinging kicking ass show.

But for a 15 minute show, its the greatest.

I saw the Apple message I was like
    :huh: Wtf was that, then I was thinking 'jobs, Cupertino' *brain click* Apple?

I guess I was relieved when this thread appeared because I was worrying if I was just hallucinating after I took, uh, Tylenol.

(to all who get that, cheers)

10. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

They did quote 2 mil for an episode of the Simpsons. And you know that stuff didn't cost 2 million an episode when it first started, so I'm guessing that's accurate. BTW, they noted that network execs are exempt from that quote.

I wonder how much an episode of Cowboy Beebop cost? That is some premium animation, and it was a short run show (26 or so episodes).

11. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah but they had a killer art team and famous director.

Damn I am totally forgetting the name of the guy, sorry.

12. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Home Movies.

I say, "Home Movies".

Adult Swim is good, but they should show Home Movies more often than <plug> Sundays at 11:00 </plug>.

They should really put Home Movies out on DVD.

Seinfeld+Simpsons+David Mamet=Home Movies

Sweetness. Hysterical. Home Movies.

13. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Yeah, Home Movies is super funny. I think they'll be showing it more soon, I believe a new season is starting.

"Inuy@sha come back!"

:D

Getting into Big O, didn't hit me right last time around (too many freaking giant robot Animes? Nah...). Big O stars the voice of Spike from CB. Kenshin also has him. Can't blame them, the guy has a great voice.

BTW, I started a thread on this in the AS boards last night, and a couple of people chimed in, one of whom wanted to know what program they used to make the cards.

Some PC user goes "they don't have a lot of options, do they?" :rolleyes:

Yeah, those creative professionals are, like SOL on the Mac.....

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

family guy is the only thing i tune into :) It gets on average 1 million viewers per night and beats both letterman and leno in males 19- 34 source newsweek

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

haha, pwned.

I prefer Conan anyway.

To bad they canned it. :(