(advanced) trash directory on a windows to mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mishi, Nov 21, 2006.

1. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

ok...i accidentally moved a chuck of system files into the trash, when i tried to move them back it came up with an error, (cannot be moved because cannot certain files cannot be found or something to that affect). it froze, i knew it would be a REALLY bad idea to restart, but i had no choice.

so i restarted and as i expected it just hung on the startup screen.

now i only have a windows, luckily it has a firewire port and i was able to get my Macintosh HD to come up on my windows.

i assumed that i could just move the files back to where they came from...but...where are they?

they were in the trash so assuming the Macintosh HD is acting as a firewire drive and i am using a PC...what the heck is the freaking path to the trash?!?!?!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

edit: oh yeah using 10.3.9 if that is relevant

2. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Its hidden in your user directory...so view hidden files and you should be fine.

3. mishi thread starter macrumors regular

mishi

tried that...i cannot see the trash (or .trash) directory

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Should be in:

/Users/yourshortusername/.Trash/

or

/Users/.Trashes/yourUID/

Where "yourshortusername" = your short username and "yourUID" = your user's UID. Probably 501 if you're the first and only user of the Mac.

Ultimately, you might get stuck having to do an archive and install to correct the problem, depending on what you moved.

5. mishi thread starter macrumors regular

mishi

yeah it is possible that i will have to reinstall... if that does not work...although i am trying to avoid that :)