Advantage of DVI

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steven1621, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I am going to be getting a 17in external display for my PB, which as mostly all of you know has a DVI port. Is the picture a lot better with DVI compared to the standard VGA? I've heard the colors show up better, but is it worth the extra cost? I don't do any intense graphics or video work, so that isn't an issue. What do you think?

2. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Well first of all, if you have a VGA monitor, DVI to VGA converters are pretty cheap so you won't need to buy a new monitor if you have one. That being said, VGA is an analog signal whereas DVI is digital. You'll notice that most DVI monitors don't let you specifically tune colors and stuff and that's because the colors are transmitted digitally whereas the VGA ones have a lot of OSD controls.
    -kevin

I know it is cliche... but it basically comes down to analog v. digital

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

My LCD has both a VGA and a DVI port. And DVI brings a noticeable improvement. DVI is a good thing to have, but it's not worth getting a new monitor just for DVI if you already have a perfectly good VGA monitor.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you are buying an LCD monitor, always get DVI.

5. dkeninitz macrumors regular

I've used a 19" Viewsonic FP for the past two years with a Dell 8300. For the first year I had it on VGA analog, then upgraded to a new video card and switched it to DVI (the monitor came with cables for both types of connections). In my particular case, the difference was negligible.

Don