Advantage of two button mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by guyute, Jan 18, 2004.

1. guyute macrumors member

I am thinking of switching from pc to a pb. I am curious to know what kind of advantage is there in having a two button mouse? From what I understand apple only sells a one button mouse. Thanks for any info

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Advantage of two button mouse?

Apple only sells a one button mouse but you can buy an USB mouse, plug it i and it will work.

Lethal

3. guyute thread starter macrumors member

4. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Since you're a PC user, I'd have thought you'd know the answer. But anyways, it allows you to right-click and display a menu, something you would normally do with COMMAND-click. It's pretty handy to be able to right-click and get all those options. And it's pretty much essential for FPS or any sort of game. In other words, get one. :)

5. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    same as with a pc basically.

6. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

It's Control Click. Command click is like Control Click on PCs.

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

If you're not going to be playing many games, you basically don't need a 2-button mouse.

Everything in the Mac OS is drag and dropable. I find that very rarely do I need to cmd-click.

And heck, if you have a USB mouse for your PC, chances are that it'll work just fine with Panther.

8. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Oops. I apologize for the inaccurate information. It is control-click.

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Re: Advantage of two button mouse?

Get a two button mouse. Whilst their is a large diehard group of mac users who praise the one button as all that is needed, there are many switchers who like the features of two buttons for quicker single hand actions and a far number of pure Mac users who think a two button mouse, scroll wheel etc is one of the few things that Steve Jobs should bite the bullet and provide for Mac users. Two buttons is not missed if your used to one button but if your a pc switcher then for little or no extra get the two buttons so the switch is less painful.

Jason

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I have two button mouse that i bought after my single button wheel mouse broke ...

I find i still control click even though i right click when i need it ... ie in photoshop ....

What i do like about his mouse is the scroll wheel ... makes editing in Final Cut Pro more like the shuffle wheel i was use to in my linear editing days

(don't feel like shelling out 150$ for a shuttlepro let me tell ya)

11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Get a 5 button mouse, like the Logitech MX500. Exposé is awesome with a 5 button mouse!:D

12. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

$45 is a little insane for a mouse. Just go and get a nice 2-button/scrollwheel mouse for $10-$20.

13. johnnowak macrumors 6502

The scroll pad sucks.

14. breakdown macrumors newbie

Yeah I think the right click is pretty convenient, like when I'm deleting something on my desktop I right click and go to "Move to Trash"

But the real thing I can't live without now is the scroll wheel on 3-button mice. Being able to scroll through web pages, folder lists, and drop down menus through the scroll is a must, I don't know how I survived w/out it before.

15. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I love the single button mouse that comes with Macs! I use it for gaming too, and it seems to get the job done.

16. Flickta macrumors 6502

Coming from a PC side, you'll definitely need a two-button mouse with a scroll wheel... If you got used to using it, of course. Apple mice are very nice, but lack functionality. Buy multibutton just in case - sometimes control-clocking is not comfortable... While second button will still be there.

17. Torajima macrumors regular

Bah, I don't play computer games, but I find my multi-button mouse to be indispensable. And that scroll wheel sure makes reading long web pages and excel docs easier.

To the original poster, go buy the Kensington Optical Elite (model 72121). It's $20 at CompUSA. It has 5 buttons plus scroll wheel. It's quite comfortable too... trust me, it's the best $20 you'll ever spend.

As to what those extra buttons do... they'll do anything you want them to do. Kensington includes a control panel that allows you to set preferences either globally or for individual applications. In other words, you could set the buttons to do something different in every application you use, if you so desired.

I recommend setting at least one or two of the buttons to control expose.. it will change the way you work!

18. Engagebot macrumors regular

yeah, everything is 'technically' drag and drop-able, but try that with dual 19" screens. I do have an 18" mousepad, but still...

how about that 23" cinema display? it takes 3 full standard mousepads to get across...

19. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

One button "PUCK" Drawing tool

I'm a die hard puck fan, and the only thing that would tempt me to try a multi button mouse is the tought of expose mapped out on extra buttons.
    hmm
    might have to test with a wacom pad mouse to see....

20. Toppa G's macrumors 6502

Wow! Weird that the first thing to pop out at me was the 18 foot mousepad...it was only after I saw that that I saw the monitor sizes too ;)

More on topic, I got an MX-700 for Christmas and programmed a couple buttons to do Expose and a couple to do the Universal Access zoom in/out feature (useful for me on my iBook), and the scroll wheel is indispensable.

I'd recommend a multi-button mouse anytime...just wish I would have gotten the MX Duo so I'd have a keyboard too. Having my hands on the iBook's keyboard makes it so I keep using the touchpad instead of the mouse :D

21. Engagebot macrumors regular

oh sorry about that, i meant inches...

yeah i have that same mouse. i got it this last summer with the keyboard and everything, only problem is the scroll wheel on my mouse died 3 days ago... But they keyboard is great though

22. BenRoethig macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

I agree. Go with Kensington. Not only do they make great products at low prices, their customer service is second to none.

23. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I don't understand why people insist on mentioning customer service.

I think it speaks poorly of a company if they have a need for a well developed costumer service ... to me it says that they make a crap product, and as a result have people calling them all the time to ask questions.

I couldn't tell you about the customer support at Apple because i've never had to call them, i couldn't tell you about logitech cause my mouse works fine and i don't have to call them.

Nikon - couldn't tell ya
    Canon - didn't deal with them directly after i took a spill skiing and i had the MiniDV cam in my pocket and it knocked the play heads - i went through the place i bought them.

Sony - same, dealt with them indirectly after i dropped the mic and it stopped working.

As far as Dell -- sure they have great tech support ... not surprisingly since when my dad had his computers at work set up, there were problems all the time so i was on the phone everyday for the first little wile.

Microsoft ... when i had trouble installing Access, i called ... they knew exactly what was wrong... the response was "this conflict happens all the time" -- my lingering question "if it's a known issue - why not fix it"

I think companies should worry about making their products work properly rather then worry about getting costumer/tech support services.