advantages/disadvantages buying online/store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by runkpock, Nov 12, 2006.

1. runkpock macrumors newbie

sup! im new here and im plannig to buy the new macbook c2d (black) .. yeah i was just wondering the advantages and/or disadvantages of buying a macbook online or from a store. i.e.... is there tax online still? are online resellers worth checking out or should i just buy from apple.com? etc etc etc...thanks!

2. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

you don't get hands on experience online and I believe the .mac is cheaper in the physical stores. If an apple store is near and your not lazy, you should go buy one their.

Also the educational discounts require less, none, hoops to go through online and you need to bring in crap to get it at the stores.

more info: some places can give you deals on extras like macmall.com but if thats not up your ally just buy from apple. If your state charges tax on purchases, then at any reputable online site you pay that also.

3. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

Store will only have one or two configurations of each model you are looking for. So, if you say want to upgrade to the 120 GB HD on a White MacBook, then you are SOL at the store and have to resort to online.

From a monetary perspective, you don't really save anything by going either direction. Sales tax will have to be paid.

From a delivery perspective, if you want the basic configuration, then you get delivery immediately versus having to wait a week or two for shipping.

I hope that helps.

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I've always done my window shopping at the local Apple Store, but then order
    direct from Apple by phone @ 1800MYApple.

That way you get the latest of any minor revisions directly from the factory.

You can speed up your phone order by setting up a wire transfer payment directly
    from your bank to Apple's account.

If you order online by credit card, it takes a few days for your payment to clear
    payment processing.