Adventurer stranded in Antarctica

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Dec 10, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Heheh, serves him right.... what a tw@t!

love this quote...

"And we can make arrangements to ship his plane out at his cost," Mr Sanson said."

heheheheheh!

rinky dink link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/3306443.stm

or full story below....

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's priceless....and good for the Americans and New Zealanders! :D The fact that this guy didn't have any contingency or rescue plans is just plain stupid.

D

3. spinner macrumors regular

he was apparently counting on penguins for search and rescue :rolleyes:

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

US or NZ should offer him the gas at cost - including the storage cost, shipping cost (probably very large), the actual cost of the gas, etc., etc.

it ain't trivial getting that stuff to antarctica...

what an idiot. if he's a true adventurer, he should adventure out on his own from antarctica too!:D

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i am glad these governments would not give him fuel. that is out final frontier, and there is already too much tourism there. i hope he has to pay a ton for his plane.

7. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

So far the response here has been negative towards the explorer, which is fine in allways, but there has been much more outrage in Australia because so far Aus has thought been "good friends" with NZ and the US other than military allies.

In other words plane goes down, mates don't help, what are you going to do...
    Having no plan is stupid and obviously an error in his adventure.

People just though the base would help out a little, no hard feelings, don't do it again, but that didn't happen...

Oh well, I do wonder, if he freezes to death will they ship the body on his expense?

8. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

errrr... the Americans have given him food and shelter (as the fool probably didn't think about packing that either. :eek: :rolleyes: :p ) and the New Zealanders have offered to fly him home, that's most generous considering it's really not that cheap to fly to and from.

It's not down to a 'friendship' between countries, it's about trying to dissuade people from doing something as stupid as this guy, without making proper contingency and rescue plans.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

igav: exactly.

Now imagine if the head winds had been even worse and he had to dump his plane down on the icesheet. He'd have to radio the Americans or NZers to come pick him up? That's just not smart, period.

I think in some states here in the US, if you require search and rescue to come and get out of the side of a mountain, for example, you pay for it.

Considering your life is in the balance, a $100,000 or so isn't all that much. :D

D

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That suprises me that a state would charge for a rescue Mr. Anderson. I thought that search and rescue was part of being a citizen.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

not when idiots get stuck. Extreme sports are popular, and lots of people think they know what they're doing when they don't have a clue.

So to prevent stupidity in general, the states have been requiring payment for rescue at certain locations. And you're told of this before you go.

D

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That would sound Ok to me in that instance Mr. Anderson. If they tell you ahead of time that you will be charged, then it is OK. My thought is that if it is trully an accident there should be no charge. Such as a fall.

13. radhak macrumors regular

i agree. couple of years ago we were at the Grand Canyon as a group, and a couple hot-heads wanted to show off to the girls by going down the canyon, where it could get pretty hot and dangerous, particularly for unplanned treks. we (rest of the group) were unable to dissuade them, but then we saw this sign which said that every rescue would be fully charged to the rescuees. don't remember if the approx $ figure was written or verbally mentioned, but it definitely served the purpose, and we enjoyed our vacation as planned...;)

14. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

See basically this page has shown both sides of the argument going on, we just want him out of there, they obviously want him gone as well.
    The sooner it's over the better.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can't believe all of you people are being so tough on this guy. I suppose if Lindbergh had vanished over Greenland, he'd have been branded an "idiot" too. After all, he didn't have a "rescue plan" (whatever that is). Have you completely lost respect for people who attempt difficult feats?

Let me tell you, anybody who can fly an RV-4 around the world three times, including over the North Pole has more clues then most of you put together, and probably ten times more guts.

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

He has guts; he has no clue.

Do you travel thousands of kilometres without a backup plan?

Since he's traveled around the world three times, you'd think he'd have a satellite-capable phone and he'd call his mates and they'd go rescue him. Good thing he didn't have to be to work on Monday.

If Charles Lindbergh had landed in Greenland, we'd have thought him an idiot too. If he'd vanished, we'd thought that he was Amelia Earheart. ;)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not so. Do you think Lindbergh had a "backup plan?" No, he did not. It was a wing and a prayer, with emphasis on the prayer.

This guy didn't remain in Antarctica for lack of a satellite phone, he remained in Antarctica for lack of fuel for the wind conditions he unexpectedly encountered. Now, not having a clue would have been taking off for the over-water flight without sufficient fuel. You might be surprised how often that happens.

All of these people are at least a little bit crackers -- if they had the same perception of risk as average people, they'd never try the things that amaze us when they succeed. It takes someone with the desire to be the first.

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If it happens so often, it couldn't be unexpectedly encountered. ;)

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Arizona instituted a "stupid motorist law" for anybody that needed to be rescued from washes and creekbeds when they decided to drive through them when there was water.

Interesting to see how many people fail to look and the depth markers on the roads, underpasses, etc. so marked -- or drive around police barricades for closed roads. aka "stupid motorists"

Then there started to be too many hikers, rock climbers, and cross country cyclers getting stuck and/or injured in parks -- they now end up having to pay also.

21. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Huh? Not sure what you mean exactly, but flight planning takes winds aloft into account -- but that doesn't mean they can't change unexpectedly.

What surprises me about this story is that the US and New Zealanders on Antarctica were so willing to disassemble, crate and ship this man's airplane back to Australia at his expense, but not to provide him with a 100 gallons of avgas at his expense, which obviously would have been much simpler.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This is obviously a very imperfect analogy. The pilot did not get stuck or injured -- he landed at a US air base in good order, but in need of fuel. He was not asking to be rescued at anyone else's expense.