Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I love McDonald's, but I've really been trying to stay away from it too much. Today I figured I'd walk the quarter mile to McDonald's and get a meal. That way I'd make up for at least 1 or 2 of the calories I was going to stuff into my body.

When I was about to leave for lunch, it was pretty cold so I decided I wasn't going to walk and I wasn't going to McDonald's if I wasn't going to walk. Instead, I was going to drive to Salad Gallery because I haven't had their grilled chicken wrap in a while.

I left the parking lot and just as I passed the next road where McDonald's is, the song on the radio changed and started playing the The Lovin' Spoonful's Do You Believe in Magic. Well, as many of you know, this song was used in McDonald's advertising in the early 90s.

As far as I was concern this was a sign from God (Assuming God exists and can't get fat or anything because He's perfect, we all know all he would eat is McDonald's). I quickly made a U-turn and ordered a double quarter pounder meal.

While eating, I started to think that if McDonald's didn't use that song in their advertisement some 10+ years ago, then they'd have 1 less customer on this specific day. Isn't this advertising at its best?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm sorry, I'm not usually like this, but why are you sharing this?

Why the heck not? This is the "Community Discussion" section. Its for all things not Apple. I thought it was pretty interesting. I don't like to think of myself as someone influenced by consumerism (although we all are), but I couldn't help myself because of a stupid 10 year old tv commercial. Its kind of depressing. :eek:

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I'm sorry, I'm not usually like this, but why are you sharing this?

So we can discuss advertising and if it works, how it works, etc.

Whenever I hear "My Sharona" I always think about getting a cute little Corolla. :eek:
My.. my.. my.. my.. woo! My toyota... duhn duhn duhn, My Toyota!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Advertising at it's best - Cillit Bang.

The adverts have developed something of a cult, and Barry Scott their leader.

But Macdonalds? Urgh. I only eat them in Spain or Poland, they just seem nicer (different fats?). Even then I leave feeling violated. And the sort of clientele they attract, just today my friend was in Burger King (I had a sexy Boots Meal Deal). Some girl kept starring at me. Not in the "your hot" kinda way, more a The Shining sort of way *shudders*

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
<snip>
While eating, I started to think that if McDonald's didn't use that song in their advertisement some 10+ years ago, then they'd have 1 less customer on this specific day. Isn't this advertising at its best?
Interesting story grapes. Thanks for sharing.

Funny how we associate music with other events/places/companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.