Advertising Manipulation - Buy a Lemur

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimjiminyjim, Nov 20, 2004.

1. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

I noticed a thread on the irony of seeing an advertisement for a "gratuitous digi-song player*" at the top of a macrumors page while the thread itself was about not posting on the fraudulent, pyramid scheme "gratuitous digi-song player*" sites.

It was mentioned that we should try to get a google ad for "Lemur" at the bottom of the page. My suggestion is that we work on getting such an ad in this thread.

So as long as it isn't against macrumors rules, if you post in this thread, please post about buying a lemur. Make sure to use the word "lemur" often. Offer to sell your lemur, to buy a lemur, etc.

If you're a mod who thinks this is a stupid thread, delete it. If you're not a mod, please humbly refrain from spoiling the efforts of this thread.

May this thread live forever.

*just a simple mention of the words and that's all we get on the adds - so a little manipulation might help....even though this is spam, I'm very curious about this, so we'll see if its possible - I edited the above text to get rid of any mention of those insidious things :D

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I have a fine lemur the likes of which you've never seen. I'd always wanted to buy a lemur, and I finally bought Linus the Lemur a few years ago. This lemur was a mighty fine lemur and responded well to high-intensity lemur-training exercises. He can defend, attack, jump through hoops, make a sandwich, and construct complex Keynesian equilibrium models with simultaneous differential equations and solve them in his head. He has an endowed Professorship at Princeton (he's department chair, actually) and is gunning for Dean. Some people think that the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard will pick him up, though, for his interesting work in trade deficits.

I would offer to sell this lemur, but at this point, he is worth more in monetary terms and to humanity than me. So the lemur is selling me. Bidding starts at .01 rubles.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

>jimjiminyjim

Since you brought up the plush lemur idea, why don't you tell us a little bit about your new site plushlemurs.com

I'm quite sure the mods would be willing to allow a plush lemur conga line, because everybody wants free lemurs. :p

Though the sad threads that'll eventually pop up about the stolen lemurs are sure to follow.

Stolen off desks, at school, when they fell asleep on the bus, etc.

Edit: not the ad change I expected. :eek:

4. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

Friends! Lemurs! lend me your ears!
    I am here to tell you today about a fantastic opportunity. You too can be the proud owner of your very own Lemur! Thats right! For the amazing price of $00.1995 x 10² you can buy your lemur-ific lemur! Allthough no one is quite sure what a Lemur exactly is, we at Lemur International can assure you hours and hours of fun with your new lemur! We also provide an online recource for those of you looking to sell your lemurs. Dont spend another moment without the satisfaction of owning a lemur! 1-800-4L-EMUR!!

5. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've been dying to buy a lemur. Not one of those damn eye pawds that are currently displayed on the ad at the bottom of the page.

I really want a cheap lemur, because lemurs can get pretty expensive, so I hear.

Lemur

oops, I mean

scem0

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Got Lemur?

Hay Guys: I know how you can get a free lemur!!1!

All you have to do is check out my website, www.freelemurs.com, tell a few friends and youll be sent your very own free Lemur! Its only $15 to register, and the more people you refer, the faster you get your Lemur!

check out theis email from a satisfied Cust0mer!

Dear Koodauw,

I never got my lemur! what gives!

Sincerely,

Joe Smith.

OOPS sorry guys, wrong email, this one is from a satisfied customer, I promise.

Dear. KUW
    I just got my Lemur and it r0x!!1! ur site is buy far the awesomest ever. Thanks SOOOOO much.

~some guy with a lemur.

So most def. check it out.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Not working yet guys :(

We need more lemurs!

Attached Files:

8. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think the word "free" is activating the curséd ad. Drats! Oh, lemur lemur lemur.

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Frink! Frink! Frink!

I'm told that lemurs say that. Maybe this will attract some.

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Lemurs still very overrated as the as the Gigolo 5 too.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

13. Awimoway macrumors 65816

So maybe discussing purchasing lemurs isn't working. What about something really close?

Exotic animals purchasing?
    Bizarre creature fetishes?
    Buy sell or trade birds, reptiles, mammals, critters and coons?

Edit: We've made a little progress!

Attached Files:

14. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Sure Lemurs are nice, but I've always preferred to purchase a nice fluffy ferret.

15. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i always get lemurs and lemmings confused. lemurs don't run off cliffs, right?
    i wonder if lemurs would be allowed in my apartment; would the cats eat the LEMUR?
    LEMUR
    LEMUR
    LEMUR

doin' my part for the lemur revolution!

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

a lemur as a pet would be awesome for sure
    ... i wish i would know a place where i could buy one of those lemurs!

17. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

We've done it!

Attached Files:

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I once got a lemur at Lemurs-R-Us. It wasn't free, but I got the lemur at a good discount. It was a very nice lemur. It was a purple lemur. Unfortunately, the lemur ate our newborn baby and we had to give the lemur away.

19. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

hmmm, no lemurs for me...

I want a lemur to lemur a bit with my lemur. Did I mention lemur yet? Ok, lemur.
    Aaaaand leeeeemur, aaaaaand leeeeemur. Lemur, lemur, lemur, lemur, lemur.... :D

20. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

[​IMG]

Well, shoot. Now we gotta get it back again.

Stupid lemurs. [​IMG]

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It was the word free that did it, I tried it earlier and I ended up with some food bank as the advertisement -- so I replaced it with plush, didn't work.

Freelemur.com with a food bank, hmmm.

Edit: On second thought, maybe it wouldn't have been such a bad combination if we all went into lemur farming. :eek:

22. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Um, while this is a fun idea for lemur goodness, I hate to say that your efforts will be in vain. To the best of my knowledge and research, the google keyword "lemur" does not have any PPC ads.

If you REALLY want a lemur ad, head to adwords.google.com, sign up and offer to pay .05 per click, create your ad and THEN you might get your lemurs on this page.

Lemur Madness.

23. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Google's text ads do indeed have lemurs.

I had no idea you could get lemurs on eBay though.
    Have I mentioned that Lemurs are my favorite animals?
    I once saw a guy with a lemur as a pet. The lemur was running all over the place.

Attached Files:

24. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i guess i must be lucky, (or in this case, unlucky), becase i dont see any ads anywhere on the forums.

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I suppose it would be equally as futile for me to tell you about my rhinoceros.