ADVICE: 2' iMac Graphics 128/256

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nodabs, Sep 28, 2006.

1. nodabs macrumors regular

After becoming impatient on the waiting for the MBP to be released, i have to do what i have to do. I'm going to buy a 24" iMac in the interim so i can get work done. My question is with the graphics card... I mainly use Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Would i see a significant increase in performance by upgrading to the 256MB GPU?

2. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Absolutely not at all. If anything, spend money on the most ram you can afford- you only would want that extra video game for 3d rendering and gaming.

3. nodabs thread starter macrumors regular

That's what i thought... thanks a lot

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I'm not an expert, but here's my take: OS X caches as many window stores as possible on the graphics card so that when Quartz Extreme (or whatever its called) renders the desktop, it sends as little data over the system bus as possible. Twice the VRAM means twice the capacity for caching window stores before your system bus becomes the bottleneck.

I have stated this idea here several times and nobody has refuted it -- but of course that doesn't mean its correct.

My main concern in your case is that it sounds like you're a pro trying to get work done for your livelihood. Are those apps UB yet? I thought they were not, in which case you're emulating the core of your workflow.

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Do you plan to use a 2nd monitor with extended desktop in the future? The VRAM gets split between the displays. Just something to keep in mind.

6. Neanderphil macrumors member

Neanderphil

I would have to disagree with this. At the moment photoshop is neither a universal binary nor does it support core image. Motion 2 and an app called imaginator do and it can be seen in this graph http://www.barefeats.com/quad12.html that the graphics card and the amount of vram present greatly enhances the performance in each of the apps. As you are not only upgrading the VRAM in the 24" but also the graphics card this would help to furture proof the imac, however until photoshop supports core image it would be of little benefit to upgrade.

Another point being that although there is speculation that the graphics card in the 24" is upgradeable i have yet to see evidence that this will be an "easy" upgrade path. Ram however can be upgraded at any point.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The upgrade is priced so reasonable that I would go for it just to make your system a bit more future resistant.

As applications and other media develop, VRAM will continue to play an important role.

8. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I second that thought, but only because it's a fairly small fee.

9. nodabs thread starter macrumors regular

I will be using this system for as an "interim fix" until i can get the MBP, at which point it will become less a "work" machine and more of a home computer. I would normally just buy the graphics upgrade for such a nominal fee, but then i wouldn't be able to just pick up a machine at my local apple store. Decisions, decisions...

10. nodabs thread starter macrumors regular

I don't plan to do this anytime soon, however you do make a good point in that.

11. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I third that thought. Don't make the mistake of not getting it...this is something that you can't fix later on an iMac. Even if you never take advantage of it, its so cheap....;)

12. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

I don't know about the software benefits of having the better graphics card, but having the 7600 instead of the 7300 will help you when you sell the iMac. For anyone doing mid-range gaming, the 7600 is a big improvement on the 7300.

Now whether or not it's worth it for you is a different question.

13. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme