advice about 16bit scanning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Alte22a, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    back in London
    Does anyone out there know much about 16bit scanning? I am using a Minolta 16bit scanner and just got hold of PS CS so trying out the 16bit features. Scanning for B&W scan in colour then convert? Any ideas anyone?
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    You're limited to what you can actually do in 16bit with PS - but its still a good thing. And yeah, definitely scan in color then convert to B/W.

There are quite a few tutorials on line about the different ways to go about this. Some are better than others - but the thing you'll need to do is just find what works best for you. It also depends on what your final output will be - digital image and a computer monitor or printed.

Every printer handles the colors a different way so a little trial and error might serve you best.

Good luck,

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    U will need to convert to 8 bit color to do most adjustments & be able to save in jpeg format if that's what u want to ulitmately do.

As for B&W, my suggestion would be to either select one of your RGB channels for good measure, or use your Channel Mixer to get some good contrast/value. From either of those points u can convert to Grayscale and get better results than simply converting from RGB to Grayscale & adjusting.

Hope that didn't confuse u. ;)
  4. Alte22a thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2003
    back in London

I am using the images for a web and Print portfolio. Basically resecanning everything I've done and cataloging them. I was trying out a little demo Black and white scan last night and scanning in 16bit B&W sucked, thought I was doing something wrong. I usually only scan colour stuff. But hey thanks guys, just needed a conformation. ;)