advice about 16bit scanning

Discussion in 'Community' started by Alte22a, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Alte22a macrumors 6502

Does anyone out there know much about 16bit scanning? I am using a Minolta 16bit scanner and just got hold of PS CS so trying out the 16bit features. Scanning for B&W scan in colour then convert? Any ideas anyone?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You're limited to what you can actually do in 16bit with PS - but its still a good thing. And yeah, definitely scan in color then convert to B/W.

There are quite a few tutorials on line about the different ways to go about this. Some are better than others - but the thing you'll need to do is just find what works best for you. It also depends on what your final output will be - digital image and a computer monitor or printed.

Every printer handles the colors a different way so a little trial and error might serve you best.

Good luck,

D

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

U will need to convert to 8 bit color to do most adjustments & be able to save in jpeg format if that's what u want to ulitmately do.

As for B&W, my suggestion would be to either select one of your RGB channels for good measure, or use your Channel Mixer to get some good contrast/value. From either of those points u can convert to Grayscale and get better results than simply converting from RGB to Grayscale & adjusting.

Hope that didn't confuse u. ;)

4. Alte22a thread starter macrumors 6502

THANKS GUYS!!

I am using the images for a web and Print portfolio. Basically resecanning everything I've done and cataloging them. I was trying out a little demo Black and white scan last night and scanning in 16bit B&W sucked, thought I was doing something wrong. I usually only scan colour stuff. But hey thanks guys, just needed a conformation. ;)