Advice about taking Money

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by thebiggoose, Jan 16, 2007.

1. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

Well, I have a problem. Frequently, friends, family members, and acquaintanes who know of my computer knowledge will ask me for help, and proceed to pay me afterwards. Usually they ask how much I charge per hour. I don't know how much to charge, so I was hoping for your advice.

Background Info: I'm a 15 year old guy. I am actually very very knowledgeable about technology and the like. I live in a pretty well-off community.Most people are upper-middle class ($100,000 a year family income) while my family is middle class (~75,000 a year).

I sometimes feel guilty taking money from friends. For example, the other day, my friend's dad asked me for some computer help. I worked on his computer for around 2 hours and then walked to his house (he owns a fitness club and thats where i was) When I was there, he asked me how much he owed me. I said "i dunno, whatever you think is fair" and he kept asking how much i charge an hour and i told him i don't kno. . i said just give me 10 bucks or somethign. and he's like okay heres 40. and gave me 40 bucks. i think taht is pretty much right, but i wouldnt want to offend someone by charging too much. What do you guys think I should charge an hour for general troubleshooting?

I can just see people posting "just send me the money" and I really wouldnt appreciate those kind of responses

2. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I'm also 15, but I don't help people a lot with my computer knowledge so I don't really have an answer to this. But recently I helped my neighbor set up their new computer/internet/router and they paid $50.

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

That's a really tough question. I've always had a problem charging people. Have you thought of how much your time/effort is worth? Do you think you can put a price on that?

You can always ask someone who charges for the same thing to see how much you can ask for

4. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

Call around to local support companies to see what they charge. Set your price from there.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ that's good advice. You don't have formal training, but you seem like you're good. And people choose you because they're comfortable with you. I don't think you should charge as much as pro techs, but 30-50% of what they charge is probably not unreasonable. That'll probably mean $25-35 an hour (assuming we're talking about USD).

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I never get paid by anyone really and I live in an upper-middle class town. I got paid $20 though to make a slideshow movie of my principal and the guy she was marrying from one of the secretaries. I got $10 to dunkin donuts for making a slideshow for another one of my teachers. I told my computer teacher/family friend to invest in apple and she made like $9000 and what did I get... nothing.

However, I did negotiate with one of my parents friends to sell stuff on ebay for him and I would take 15% of the profit, he thought that was fair. Little did realize that he wanted to ship the stuff and respond to questions, etc. So he came over to my house with 5 items, including a $1500 titanium mountain bike, 2 $650 carbon fiber exhaust things for a motorcycle, some $400 vintage gas tank for a motorcycle, $300 plastic motorcycle thing, and a pair of $200 skis. I don't expect the skis to sell but items similar to the other items do appear to sell. I also got paid $40 to put all the items on eBay. I kinda feel like I am taking wayyyyyyyy to much money so I think when the auctions end I'll give him some money back. I'll make like $500 if everything sells. Not that he needs it, he owns a company, has 1 kid thats almost out of college, has everything he desires, and he is a board of directors for a bank.