Advice before I open up my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erkanasu, Jan 4, 2007.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

I am going to follow this instruction set to replace my hard drive: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro/Hard-Drive

Seems complicated but def. do-able. Any veterans have advice before I begin this endeavor? Thanks!

p.s. i was going to have compusa do it, but after they said it would cost only $30, they said for a mbp hd it would cost $150!

2. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

3. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I'd probably give it a go.. then again, I bought extra applecare, I wonder what it would do to the warranty?

4. mrploddy macrumors member

Changing RAM and Hard drive does NOT void the warranty. The only problem arises if you take it in for service and they find it's a user installed component. THEN you aren't covered and they will charge you for the service.

That is why some people keep the Apple components so they can slot them back in when they take it in for service.

-mrploddy

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

after seeing that id would get an external! how bad would it suck if something went wrong

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Some states will not allow that to happen, no matter what the manufacturer has to say. In a few states it is illegal to require a consumer to have a product serviced "only" at the manufacturer's service centers.

Many automakers tried and failed to require people to have their cars only serviced at dealerships. In many ways, computers can fall under the same considerations.

7. erkanasu thread starter macrumors 6502

HEY GUYS, Wanted to let you know that I swapped them up Successfully and I am running on the new one right now! Thanks. Although I did have a small scare when I tapped over by accident a small hole in the harddrive, and the machine wouldnt boot, but after clearing the hole everything was a GO!