Advice: Config for 27" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zer0tails, Jan 7, 2013.

1. zer0tails, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

macrumors 65816

Mar 23, 2008
    Hi everyone! :)

Just sold my 4 year old mac pro today. I have been out of the mac game for awhile but am planning on getting a 27" iMac and I would REALLY appreciate the advice of those more knowledgeable than I on configuring it.

Objective: Most bang for the buck configuration. A computer that will last me at least 3 years and be able to do everything listed below with speed.

Work: Document writing, spreadsheets, powerpoints, Android development.

Fun: Media such as web browsing, youtube, netflix watching and light gaming (think plants vs zombies, the walking dead etc.)

Low end 27" or high end 27" Fusion drive..yes or no? I would prefer a SSD but am wondering if it is user replaceable. Is a processor upgrade worth it? Or is that $$ better spent on Fusion drive?

Is Ram user replaceable or do I need to upgrade?

Do I need a graphics card with 1GB RAM?

IMPORTANT: I have a 27"Apple display that uses mini display port. Will I be able to pair this with the imac for dual screen set up?

Thanks! :D
  2. macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    In no particular order:
    • RAM is user upgradeable on the 27" If you need more than the base memory, I'd recommend buying a 3rd party 16MB memory kit to put in the empty memory slots.
    • Disks are not [easily] user replaceable. Fusion drive is probably enough for what you've stated you'll be using the system for.
    • As for video ram, it depends on what the android development does. also, the 1 GB memory might make the system last longer for you.
    • For only the $200 difference between the 27" models, it is probably worth getting the higher end unit.
    • Your 27" display with the MDP connector will plug in to a Thunderbolt port.