Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matty T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I initially did an Archive and Install for Tiger; however, I wish I had done an Erase and Install and start off with a clean slate because there were a lot of 3rd party programs I had when running Panther that really slowed down my computer (like Limewire, which I don't use anymore).

The only things that I would like to keep with the Erase and Install are my itunes music library, my iphoto library, and my safari bookmarks. I have a 15GB 3G ipod (such a blast from the past nowadays) and I was wondering if I would be able to use that hard drive to transfer both my library and my bookmarks.

Granted I'm not sure if there will be enough space, is it possible? If not, what cheaper options than buying an external HD do I have?

peterparker

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Houston
It is certainly possible. How much space do you have free on your iPod? What is the size of your iTunes library and iPhoto library?

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, you can use an iPod as a hard drive. Just select "Enable disk use" in iPod Preferences, which is in iTunes.

Matty T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I have about 8GB of music, my iPhoto library has around 2500 pics. Can bookmarks be transferred over the iPod as well?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
How big is your ipod?

I did an Erase of my ipod, then did a restore of the Tiger DVD on to my ipod. After the restore, I created a folder in the ipod that contained my files that I intended on keeping.

Depending on your Library size, and the size of your Music collection this may be an option. It may be best to create a compressed Disk image containing both your Audio and photo data and copy that DMG onto your ipod.

Bookmarks can be copied yes. In Safari open your Bookmarks "Bookmarks" -> "Show All Bookmarks" then click "File" -> "Export Bookmarks". Save them to your Desktop, and or your ipod that you are going to use to create your new system with.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
You can do all this. Bookmarks can be transferred. There is a bookmarks.plist file or something similar in ~/library/applcationsupport/safari (I think). If not, seach for .plist and the one with bookmark written in it is the one you want.
EDIT: I haven't refreshed these threads that are open in tabs... Do what the guy above me suggested with exporting bookmarks

If all of this won't fit on your iPod, use disk utility to put it all in a .dmg file. If it still won't fit, compress that .dmg file as a .sit file with stuffit expander or similar.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
840quadra said:
Bookmarks can be copied yes. In Safari open your Bookmarks "Bookmarks" -> "Show All Bookmarks" then click "File" -> "Export Bookmarks". Save them to your Desktop, and or your ipod that you are going to use to create your new system with.

You can do this anytime, you don't need to click on your Bookmarks first. :)

Matty T

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
So it sounds like a .dmg file is the way to go. Not to sound dumb, but how do I do I convert my music and photos to a .dmg file and then transfer them to my ipod?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Mechcozmo said:
You can do this anytime, you don't need to click on your Bookmarks first. :)

Thanks I didn't know that. :) For some reason I tend to go the long route.

Matty T said:
So it sounds like a .dmg file is the way to go. Not to sound dumb, but how do I do I convert my music and photos to a .dmg file and then transfer them to my ipod?

I am sure there are many ways to do this but here is how I make a DMG

Open disk Utility
  1. Click "file"
  2. Click "new"
  3. Click "Disk Image from folder"
  4. Browse to the folder you would like to create an image from. Both the Itunes library and Iphoto library are located in your home folder by Default.
  5. After you select the folder you want to compress click the "image" button
  6. Make sure the image format is set for "Compressed"
  7. Click saved.

An other way to compress down entire folders is to Right (or Ctl) click on a folder, and select "create archive of "YOUR FILE"".

Depending on what you are trying to compress, creating an Archive will make a smaller footprint. I just like mountable Disk images better for most types of work.

image.php

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Matty T said:
-First have all the files in a folder or something to see how big they end up.
-Open Disk Utility (MacHD/Applications/utilities/diskutility)
-With no drives selected at the side, click the 'new image button'.
-Select your options. Format should be mac os x extended (journaled) and you don't need and AES-128 encription. Name the drive something as well.
-When the image is on your desktop, double click it to mount it, and drag all your files in. Unmount it (ctrl click ->eject).
-Put the .dmg onto your ipod.
EDIT: I got beaten to it. Between the both of us we ave probably confused you heaps though :D

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
epepper9 said:
-First have all the files in a folder or something to see how big they end up.
-Open Disk Utility (MacHD/Applications/utilities/diskutility)
-With no drives selected at the side, click the 'new image button'.
-Select your options. Format should be mac os x extended (journaled) and you don't need and AES-128 encription. Name the drive something as well.
-When the image is on your desktop, double click it to mount it, and drag all your files in. Unmount it (ctrl click ->eject).
-Put the .dmg onto your ipod.
EDIT: I got beaten to it. Between the both of us we ave probably confused you heaps though :D

Your way works also, however you can create a new disk image from a folder, as opposed to creating a new image first, then copying the files inside it. Not only can you get a smaller DMG by creating it from a folder, it also saves you a few steps :)

image.php

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.