Advice for a nearly dead Touch 4G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kylera, Dec 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

kylera

My iPod Touch 4G has just passed the two-year mark, and as all portable devices go, its battery is pretty much shot. If I fully recharge it and let it sit idle (screen off and whatnot, no Wi-Fi), the Touch is guaranteed to die in 2 days tops.

Other than that, everything else works pretty well still. The screen has no cracks whatsoever.

What would be the best thing to do with it? I paid good money to get this as it's the 64GB model, so I really don't want to throw it into the bin just yet.

2. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Keep using it would be my suggestion. Just keep recharging it as necessary.
    The battery on ours is also quite weak... but it works. Even if that means if I have to recharge it all the time.

3. macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

kylera

I can get through a day with just music and nothing else.

If I use my Touch to do simple browsing, however, I can almost see the battery drain in front of my eyes.

----------

That's the other thing - now that I have an iPhone, I'm not carrying the Touch much anymore. It sort of like a backup device now.

5. macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

Well for 80 bucks, you can get a replacement device under apple's battery replacement policy. You could also get one of those external battery cases, they're pretty cheap on Amazon.

6. macrumors 65816

Can be used as a docking device on speakers at home or in the car.

Or if you get videos on itunes it can be used as an output device to your TV [that is what mine is doing]

7. macrumors 6502

If I were you I'd sell it, I'd imagine you can get at the least $150 for it according to eBay prices (used ones are going for almost $200, and I assume they have decent battery life). Or if you're very handy, you can purchase a new battery for 20 bucks and do the replacement yourself.

8. vkd
    macrumors regular

Your best plan would be to buy yourself a cheap and cheerful generic Made In China MP3 player on ebay and simply post your iPod over to me. PM me for my address. :)

9. macrumors 68030

Take it to Apple and ask them to replace it - they'll do it for $80 (or £59 over this side of the pond) if everything else is working OK.