advice for a switcher on cross platform itunes libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lollypop, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

hi

I recently switched, and im very happy with my powerbook! The only thing that I cant seem to get working is cross platform itunes libraries. My PC has all my Mp3's om it, with all my playlists and playcounts ect. I dont want to move everything over to my mac, what I want to do is keep my mp3s om my pc, and have a single library tht I can access from my PC and my mac, a library that has the same playcounts and ratings. I have tried sharing the volume that my mp3s are on and exporting the list on my pc and importing it on my mac but it doesnt seem to work. I examined the xml file that itunes on windows created and changed all differences that a itunes for mac export would create but still no luck, the files import, but wont play!! Any advice??

2. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Hmm, couldn't you just use the built-in Rendezvous networking to access the music library stored on your PC from your Mac? This, of course, assumes you have a network set up in your house.

3. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I can use Rendezvous, but I cant view album art and the amount of times a track has been played isnt updated, and since a lot of my playlists are based on play count amongst others, Rendezvous doesnt cut it.

4. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

should be kinda easy

replace the itunes directory (in music) on your mac with a link to the same basic directory on your pc (in my documents/my music i believe) all the formats should be ok...

ahh thought of a problem... the links to the files aint going to work, scrap the idea :rolleyes: maybe somebody can build on it

5. Lollypop thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I actually tried sharing the mp3's on my PC and changing the location of my itunes folder to that shared drive, but it did not import any of the songs. Thats why i tried to maybe export my library on my PC and then import it again on my mac. I also discovered another limitation to the Rendezvous method, I cant add songs to that library. But thanks for the help everyone!!!!