advice for buying a dual2 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soyaspade, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. soyaspade macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2004
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #1
    I've been wanting to buy my first mac since Novrember and have my heart set on a dual2 G5. A friend told me to wait until after the MacWorld Expo because Apple would announce upgrades to the G5 which would make the dual2 less expensive. So now it's after the expo and my question is whether I should wait longer or go ahead and buy now. Is it still possible there will be an upgrade soon? Anyone have an idea how much the price of a dual2 will drop when the next one comes out?
    Thanks!
     
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #2
    Give it until the end of January, I (we all) are hoping against hope that Apple will have pulled something out of the bag and give the PM's and update by then. If nothing turns up then buy, but just give it a few weeks.
     
  3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #3
    I'm waiting too...

    I have been waiting and saving to purchase a Powermac G5 and I believe that the next updates are coming soon. I'm hoping for an update within the next four weeks at single 2ghz single 2.2ghz dual 2.4ghz dual 2.6ghz. If this happens then your dual 2 will likely drop anywhere from $500-$700.
     
  4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #4
    Some Interesting Information...

    This just was put up on Apple Insider!

    "According to new reports, the 90-nm G5 is now in the final stages of manufacturing. Dependent on test results, this revision of the G5 could top out at either 2.5 or 2.6GHz. Among the other expected clock frequencies are 2.2, and 2.4GHz flavors. The new Xserve G5 makes use of the 2.0GHz 90-nm G5 chip, which will be the first of the 90-nm revision to ship in quantity from IBM.

    As briefly mentioned in yesterday's edition, Power Mac G5 revisions are expected on or after January 20th."
    :D :)
     
  5. soyaspade thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2004
    Location:
    New York, NY
    #5
    Thanks for the advice! I'll definately wait a few more weeks to buy.
     
  6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

    invaLPsion

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2004
    Location:
    The Northlands
    #6
    No problem. I'm excited about that information too!:D
     

Share This Page