Advice for buying used

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BombSS427, Jul 19, 2005.

1. BombSS427 macrumors newbie

Long time reader, first time thread starter. I know of an Ad agency that is going out of business and they have some ibooks and PowerBooks for sale. I have been waiting to get a Mac for a while and now with this opportunity i think i should. Are there things I should look for to make sure I am not getting ripped off? Any advice on getting a used Mac is greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

2. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Where is this? I want a PB so I can hand down my iBook to my daughter (and put the compaq out of its misery).

I would hope a good company would take care of their products. I'm sure others on this thread will have better answers, but I would see who was in charge of taking care of their Macs and talk to them. If you can get any advance information on what will be available you could research expectations on condition and price. Good luck!

3. BombSS427 thread starter macrumors newbie

This place is in Michigan. I can only imagine they kept their stuff in good condition. I have not seen the computers yet so I am not sure. But if I go there and everything is junk I will laugh.

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Get the specs first, and then go home and research prices. Look at the cost of a new one, and similar items being sold on places like eBay.

Don't purchase them unless you are certain that they are a good deal, and in good condition.

::20ROGERSC::

5. hhlee macrumors 6502

if you're looking for powerbooks, you should google some info on the flaws - some 15 inch powerbook screens developed white spots. apple does free repair only one some models (within a certain range of serial numbers).

i'm not aware of any similar flaws on the ibook but you might also search around the forums about ibook screens - some claim that certain ibook models have better screens (comparable to pb screens) and others are too dim.

hope that helps a bit.

6. ebmyszkow macrumors newbie

Curious, I am selling my iMac G3 450 MHz w/640 mb ram a Firewire CD/RW, a zip 100 drive and OS 10.3 disks. How much would you pay for something like that. Right now I am getting offered $200 and I wanted to make sure it's an ok price.