Advice for moving iTunes library to new Mac internal hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kavika411, Jan 28, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Thank you so very much for reading this. I am still new to iTunes and Macs and so appreciate your thoughts.

I have the original 250 gig internal hard drive that came with my G5 PowerMac. Because I burn at lossless (no snippy comments, please) I ran out of space. I've bought a new 500 gig internal hard drive to put in the second bay/port in my PowerMac. (The second bay/port is currently empty.) I plan to migrate my current 190 gig iTunes library to the new 500 gig drive and begin ripping and buying to the new drive; in other words, the new drive will be my new library, period.

I greatly appreciate any thoughts on the following two questions (or a reference to other posts on these topics):

First, how do I tell my Mac to move my existing iTunes library from the old/original drive to my new drive?
    Second, how do I teach iTunes to only refer to the new drive when looking for/dealing with my library?

Again, thank you for reading this. I appreciate your time and comments.

2. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

Its quiet simple...
    just go to itunes.. preferences... advanced...change the iTunes folder location to your new Harddrive, and check the box copy files to iTunes Music....
    afterwards click ok, go to advanced and click consolidate library.. this will copy all your files to your new harddrive... after this just copy ur iTunes Library file (should be in your Music folder) and thats it...

this might also help
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301748

3. kavika411 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kavika411