Advice for trip to New York please?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dobbin, May 24, 2005.

1. dobbin macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Are there any New Yorkers out there?

I'm visiting with my wife for the first time next week (June 1-6). I've got a good idea of what we're going to do - but wondered if there is anything else you would advise. Or is there anything on my list that is maybe not worth spending time on?

So far I've got:

Trip to top of Empire State Building (lots of people say this is best at night time - is that right?)
    Trip up the Statue of Liberty
    Visit the Immigration museum & the Tenement museum
    Watch WNBA (NY Liberty vs Wash Mystics) at Madison Sq Garden
    See "The Producers" on Broadway
    Visit Central Park (where should I head - is anything particularly worth seeing?)
    Vist ground zero - Definitely want to visit - but what is there actually to see there?
    Met Museum of Art - my wife wants to go as she likes looking at Art
    Visit the Apple store in SoHo :D
    We're staying right by Penn Station and Madison Sq Gardens, so hopefully a lot of these things will be in easy reach. What else would anyone recomend that I go and see?

Finally, whats the weather normally like in early June? The average temp seems to be low 20s according to my guidebook, is that about right, and does it rain often?

Any tips would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

P.S. This is my third trip the states - the first was a day trip from Canada to see Mount St Helens just aftet it erupted in 1980. I was only 4 so can't remember much. The second visit was a business trip to Kansas City and Phoenix and I barely left the hotel. I'm looking forward to actually seeing something this time hopefully!

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Summers in Manhattan, pretty much all of the east coast of the US are hot and muggy. But this year has been much cooler than normal. Long pants and a light T-shirt. You might need a jacket in the evenings.

Central Park is HUGE. 57 Hectares. There are countries which are smaller.

I've heard good things about the producers. Spamalot is good if you are a python fan but tickets are hard to get.

The Empire State Building is great to go up, just about any time. They have a souvenir shop at the top and commemorative photos taken as you enter and sold to you as you exit. The "skyride" or something like that which they push on you is not really worth it from what I have heard.

Ground Zero right now looks more like a construction site than anything. Everything previously there is gone and they are started to rebuild. What I did when I visited was I took the E train to the end of the line and then looked at it from the transfer area between the subway and the Path.

The MOMA is a good visit.

Be careful around Soho, some of the adjoining neighborhoods are bad.

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Get all of the tourist sites out of the way in a few days. Then just enjoy walking around and going to restaurants/bars......my favorite part of NY.

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Might be, but be prepared for lines--LONG lines! Better to get there 20-30 mins before opening
    Be prepared for MORE lines! If you don't want to mess with the lines, you can just take the staten island ferry for $1 or so -- you get great views of the statue and Manhattan
    Never been to the tenement museum. If by the Immigration museum you mean Ellis Island, it's definitely worth the trip.
    Okay, if you're a sports fan. But I think for a truly "American" experience you might be better off going to a baseball game -- the Yankees or even the Mets.
    Yes, good show, you'll love it!
    Just wander around the park. There's nothing especially special to see there. You can rent boats to paddle around the pond, or take a horse-and-buggy ride (touristy, but still romantic)
    It's just a big construction site now. I've visited NYC twice since 9/11 and never wanted to go -- I was having too much fun doing other things.
    Good fun. Make sure to check out the replica rooms. Also, there's a patio on the third floor with an excellent view of Central Park
    Now why would you want to do that? ;)
    Sure, easy subway access to the entire city, a short walk to Times Square, Empire State building.
    How about the new Museum of Modern Art? Also, Fifth Avenue from about 50th to 60th for the ultimate capitalist shopping adventure. For a more "cultural experience" try visiting chinatown or Little India.
    It should be lovely -- the serious summer heat won't have kicked in yet. If it rains, you'll be able to by a $5 umbrella from a dozen street vendors that suddenly pop up out of nowhere, so no need to pack for the rain. A lot of New Yorkers view umbrellas as disposable, one-use items.

5. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Well the Soho store is close to the WTC

Nothing to do there though.

Depending on where you go and how old you are I would also recommend a concert. Check out the shows at the Central Park Summerstage for around the time you are coming.

Def go to the Liberty game. I hate WNBA but if you havent been to the Garden, then you must.

I hate NY though and dont know why anyone would want to come here for vacation lol. Im waiting for college so I can get out of here.

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

Visit Chinatown and then take a romantic walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.

If you are into clubs go to Avalon at 47 W 20th St. It's in an old church, formerly the Limelight.

For some great NY pizza checkout: John's Pizzeria at 278 Bleecker St or at 260 W 44th St. I prefer the one on Bleecker.

Have fun!

7. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

That said, Soho itself is a great area. The Apple store is there, but apart from that, you've got a lot of cool stores like Replay, ****, etc. - basically youth fashion.

The buildings are really cool, very artsy feel to the place still. We walked around for 2 hours waiting for the Apple store to open so I could get my Powerbook and had a great time. Grab some coffee and wonder about, very cool.

andy.

8. bartelby macrumors Core

9. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Lots of good advice so far. You're going to love any part of Central Park that you happen to visit. If you like zoos, you might enjoy the Central Park Zoo, near the south end of the park. The hansom cab ride through the park was very nice, but also expensive (around $40 for a 20-30 minute ride, IIRC).

If you have kids, or if you're just young at heart, maybe stop by the Toys 'R Us store in Times Square. I always have to go by there and see T-Rex in the Jurassic Park section of the store. ;)

Since you're going to be there a whole week, do yourself a favor and learn how to use the subway. It's just a lot cheaper than taking taxis. It's a little more complicated (IMO) than the London Underground but not hard to figure out.

10. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I'm 29. I thought about looking for a concert somewhere but in the end decided to go to a show instead - after all NY/Broadway is famous around the world for its shows - I found some fairly cheap tickets to the The Producers which was good.

Great, I'm glad you said that. I've never watched or played basketball, but I like watching all sports. I wanted to see something in the Garden - either a concert or some sport and that is what is on next weekend (didn't fancy the McDonalds Gospelfest!).

Ha! I think the same of where I live (Cotswolds, England), yet its always full of tourists in the summer, and a lot of Americans too.

W44th St? Thats where we're going to the show. Could be a good time to try out some NY pizza!! I love pizza!

I'm English. We invented queues (lines). We're very good at it :D

I would have preferred to see Baseball (or Football but I know its out of season) but we are staying right by MSG so its going to be much easier to watch the basketball. Its only $10 so seems like a good way to see inside the Garden and get a taste of NY Sport.

Thanks - good tip.

I'm only going to be there for 4 1/2 days, then I'm off to New Jersey for a wedding, which is the real reason for our trip to the US. Hopefully we will have time to see lots of sights in our short stay, as well as getting out to the restaurants/bars and seeing the less touristy bits.

Exactly the sort of advice I was after - thanks.

Thanks everyone for your replies - its really helping to get me very excited about my trip!
    If anyone else has any tips, then please do post them here!

11. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, but don't say I didn't warn you!

I was astonished to see that people in London even queue up at the bus stop: the first person to arrive at the stop gets on the bus first. Don't do that in New York, or you'll never get on the bus: just push your way to the front. It's what everyone does.

P.S. Yes, queue is definitely not a "standard" American word. My first experience with the word was when I was a kid: there was a headline in the local newspaper that completely baffled me:

"Iraqis must queue, too."

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it meant. Then I read the article, and it turned out that it was about how even in oil-rich Iraq, there were still lines at the gas pumps (this was during the 1980 oil crisis).

12. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

Do you like jazz? if you do check out who is playing while you are there. There is ALWAYS some great jazz in NYC.

13. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

I'm not really into Jazz very much, although I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thanks.

14. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

I was in New York a couple months ago, me and my girlfriend were scouring greenwich village for a nice jazz club, but places like the vanguard and blue note are way out of our price range. Any good suggestions for dingy, cheap places with good music for my next visit?

15. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I was out there several years ago and saw a great show at Flushing Town Hall. I don't think it was very expensive. IIRC its the last subway stop out in Queens.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I visit NYC frequently and can tell you this-if you're going in June, plug your nose! All the trash sits out on the sidewalks and it can get really stinky if it's hot! Otherwise, you'll have a great time. Make sure to go to Two Boots Pizza and check out Park in the meat packing district. Very cool club.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread, June 5th, I leave for NYC for a week and this thread just might come in handy.

Not to hijack the thread, but how's the free WiFi access around NY? Is it non-existant or is it everywhere?

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It should be pretty much everywhere.

19. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I think everyone mentioned everything but what about visiting the bronx zoo.

20. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That would be quite a long trip for someone who's not even interested in a 30-minute subway ride to Yankee Stadium. It's a nice zoo and all, but not tremendously different from zoos you find just about anywhere.

21. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Be prepared for very very long lines for the Empire State Building and the statue of Liberty. My dad and I waited around an hour and a half just to buy tickets! It takes a lot of patience but in the end it will be worth it.

Ground zero is sort of a depressing sight. I didn't spend much time around ground zero. You'll see many pictures and poems on the fence surrounding the sight. You can also go downstairs from the subway station to get a closer look of the building site.

All I can say is, whatever you do, make sure you see manhattan at night. Specifically, go see Times Square; it's beautiful.

I love New York. :cool:

22. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I forgot to mention you can prebuy tickets to the empire state building at

http://www.esbnyc.com/

You buy them online and then print them.

This saves you an hour or so line to buy tickets so you only have to wait the half hour for the elevator most of the way up and then the another half hour up to the obs deck... :)

23. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Thanks Mongo - thats very useful indeed.

And thanks to everyone else for your help. I really can't wait to go now!!!!

24. dobbin thread starter macrumors 6502a

dobbin

Thanks a lot, but I already live near Gloucester :D (see sig).