Advice for Windows desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bonked, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Bonked macrumors member

I've owned a Classic, Classic II, Bondi Blue iMac, and now I have a G4 iMac and a Powerbook G4. So, I'm a Mac user from way back. But, I have to buy a Windows desktop to run some statistics software that I need (EQS, M-Plus, HLM, etc). I figure I might as well get a decent machine that has a shot of running Vista whenever they decide to release it. Anyone here have any recommendations? I'm currently thinking about a Compaq SR1750NX. I tried Dell but they seem too expensive for what you get.

Thanks for any help!

2. blackstone macrumors regular

If the only reason you're getting the computer is to run statistics programs, why worry about being able to run Vista? And why get a media center computer like the Compaq you named???

Just get a fast computer with lots of RAM, skimp on the graphics and sound cards to save money, and you'll be able to run your stats software on Windows XP for a while to come. You want number-crunching ability, not bells and whistles.

3. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

If possible, try to build one yourself (or with the help of someone you know). You'll get a ton more for your money.

4. Bonked thread starter macrumors member

Excellent point. I figure if I'm going to buy a Windows computer, I might as well get one that will (hopefully) last a while. While stats programs are my main purpose, I'd hate to be in a situation where in 2 years I have a computer that can only run those stats programs because everything else is beyond its capabilities. $600 isn't too much for a computer, in my opinion, so I'm okay getting something with a few bells and whistles. But, if someone has a recommendation for a better system that doesn't have media center, etc for around the same price or less, that's great.

Also - I'm not really experienced enough with hardware to build my own computer, I don't think.

5. blackstone macrumors regular

Maybe try pricing out some of the Dell Optiplex computers, on the Small Business section of their website. They have a nicely laid-out tool-free chassis and the higher-end ones have dual core processors.

What other tasks are you thinking of using the computer for? If it's not games, then I'm guessing it'll take longer than 2 years to make the system obsolete...

6. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

dude, seriously if you want the best value bar none, check out this system from Gateway http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Gate...41812/catOid/-12962/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The specs are enough to make my mouth water for the price. And Gateway has always been better than Dell or HP IMO. They don't bog down the system with tons of programs you'll never use and the system is completely silent due to BTX technology.

This Gateway almost makes me want to go Windows...almost

7. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

You do save a lot of money by building it. I built a computer for $600 that dell charges $2000 for. The trick though is doing the research to make sure you get high quality stuff. If it is no name it probably sucks. Newegg is really good for that.

8. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

but if you're not comfortable, don't do it. Dell overcharges like mad crazy. Gateway system from CC is the way to go. No way you gonna get X2 4200+, 1gig RAM, Dual DVD, 250gb HD, etc, for cheaper than $800 by building it

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

What's your timeframe? I'd love to say iMac + Virtual PC 8 :)

10. Bonked thread starter macrumors member

I wish...

That'd be great, but I need this stuff now. Sigh.