Advice: how much memory?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fredf, Jun 11, 2009.

1. macrumors 6502

I am about to buy my first iPhone (new 3Gs). I am not into videos or music (won't use the mp3). I'll be doing some surfing and email. What I am really looking forward to is the GPS function.

How much memory do I need? My concern is loading things like GPS maps and how much memory that might use up.

thanks

2. macrumors 68020

you will be fine with a 16 gig phone.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

As I familiarize myself more with the available apps, I now realize that there are a bunch of apps I would--Stanza, to read eBooks, Bi-cycle as a cycle computer, and others.

How large are typical iPhone programs and would 16 gigs be enough for a bunch of apps if I'm not doing music and videos?
    And, if I do use the GPS function, presumably I would download some base maps. They must require some space.

Advice?

4. macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Maps don't really take space, they typically download on the fly... I have a 16GB now with 60 apps, 7 full movies, 1200 songs, 400 pictures and I still have 4GB available... 16GB will be more than enough for you.

5. macrumors newbie

16GB will be plenty if you aren't going to put a bunch of music or videos on there

6. macrumors regular

Most apps are around 5 mb and you can only have 11 pages of 16 apps per page so you would have PLENTY of space.

7. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I think maps for a GPS take about 1 GB usually.
    But if you add maps for many different countrys it might take a little more space.
    But I think 16GB is plenty. Unless you're one of these people that wants to carry their whole computer library with songs and movies with them 24/7

8. macrumors member

I also think 16gb is enough for you. I ended up ordering the 32gb, but I probably could have gotten away with the 16gb........since I hope to do lots of videos of my kids AND Im keeping this phone for 2 yrs, I went with the 32 (so I would get upgrade fever quite as bad next year lol)

9. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

Exactly. No maps are stored (except maybe as a temporary cache). Don't include them in your estimates of how much memory you'll need. :)

10. macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you can afford it, get the 32. As memory is not upgradable, and you don't know what the next 2 years may hold for technological advances, you won't regret not having it if you end up needing it.

11. macrumors 601

jecapaga

You'll do fine with the yet released 2GB iPhone. No need for 8, 16, 32, 64 or 128 versions.

12. macrumors 601

gloss

This is not completely accurate. GOOGLE MAPS are not stored locally. GPS navigation apps, on the other hand, will very likely be stored locally. However, they shouldn't occupy more than a couple of GB. I think you'll be happy with 16gb.

13. macrumors 603

I'm gonna be a picky bastard, but it's not "memory." You want more "storage."

Now that I'm done with that, GO FOR THE 32. With all the new APIs, there is no telling what is going to come out. If you like Myst, that game alone takes a few hundred megabytes. If you want to carry a video or two around, there go a few more. I went from a 30GB iPod to an 8GB iPhone. I can't tell you how stoked I am to have all that storage back, even though the iTunes Plus songs now take up twice as much, theoretically putting me behind where I was a couple of years ago. Dammit.

14. macrumors 6502

Jeremy81

16GB should be great for you. I don't watch video on my iPhone either but I do have many apps and music. 8GB wasn't enough but 16 has been perfect so far. I imagine by the time the next iPhone comes out I'll get the larger model.

15. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Actually with true turn by turn GPS navigation software by Tomtom and Navigon coming out this month Maps will be stored on your iphone.

16. macrumors 6502a

I'm getting the 16GB that should be enough. . .

Going to convert my Mp3 files to get more songs and stuff. I have an original 8GB now and I literally just hit the 8GB mark. Lol I have around 330 Mb left.

17. macrumors 68040

The Californian

I have the 8GB iPhone 3G. I have almost 1200 songs, 3 full length movies, a few TV shows, some podcasts, and even when I max out on Apps I still have about 2GB worth of space left. You will have more than enough with the 16GB, don't waste your money with the 32GB, that's for people who are serious about the media.

18. thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys. except for a couple of you, it seems like you all agree 16 is enough.
    I'm not going to be playing games but I am concerned about maps that would have to reside on the phone. unlike gps which have removable sd cards, the iphone cannot be loaded with whatever map i need beforehand (i guess it can 'manually' but that would be a pain).

19. macrumors 601

gloss

I wouldn't sweat that too much. 16GB is plenty of space to carry all the maps you might need.

20. macrumors regular

But alas your sig says you've ordered a 32GB version of the 3GS? Decided to keep if future proof? :)

21. macrumors 65816

Kadman

As far as memory goes, I recommend sticking with the full 256MB they'll ship it with. :D

22. macrumors 6502a

tayshon

I have the 16G 3G now and have more then 10G left, 16 should enough.

23. macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

im going to go 32gb because tomtom will prob take nearly a gig in maps, and video is gonna take up quite a bit (especially if you on holiday) and obviously room to grow.

24. macrumors 601

fireshot91

Ahh, beat me by 4 hours!

25. macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

If I recall we were not discussing my needs but the needs of the OP who said clearly he will NOT be storing music or movies on his phone... I am a totally different story.