Advice in backing up and reconfiguring variety of OS to make life simpler.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stachecat, Apr 15, 2005.

1. stachecat macrumors newbie

i have a number of older computers and a new powerbook G4 1.67ghz .
    the older desktop is a G4 dual processor with an even older g3 attached that has useful archived files on it (but file sharing seems to be an issue sometimes.) the G4 is partitioned and runs both 10.2.8 and 9.2. the G3 is running 9.2. we also have an older ibook G3 that is running 10.2.8 and the new powerbook that is running 10.3. i have fallen behind in archiving all data from all machines so bought a new lacie 160 gig ext hard drive to do this. i'm not sure whether to initialize the new hd with 10.3 incase there are any conflict issues. we are not networked. my intention was to attach the hard drive to each computer seperately and back up all info. i then want to install 10.3.8 on all computers except to for the G3 which has a new home.
    Any advice or suggestions for approaching the overhaul in a different way?
    thanks
    stachecat :)

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Conflicts? What kind of conflicts? You are not trying to network TRS-DOS with the Amiga OS, you are trying to connect several Macs. The whole point of MacOS 9 is to be compatible with MacOS X. You are making things way too complicated. Rather than hauling around a back-up drive, it would be better just to connect it to one computer, network everything, back-up over the network, and save yourself some shoeleather.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I would use Disk Utility to create an image of each internal drive, and place them on the external drive. That way you have an exact image of each drive, and you can then erase, upgrade, or do whatever to each internal drive, and still have all the data intact in a mountable file. You can even go back and restore the image later on, if you screw something up.

In Disk Utility, go Images -> New -> Image from Folder...
    Then, instead of selecting a folder, select the drive you want to image.
    Save it on the external drive as read-only with no encryption.

After the image is created, you can go to Images -> Scan Image For Restore, select the image you just made, and it will prepare it for restoring to a drive.

4. stachecat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the input!

In my experience, which is not vast but not minimal either, OS X does not always work as it is purported to do with OS 9 especially in regards to various graphics applications. In fact, at times it has been a source of frustration, unless you put out vast amounts of money to upgrade allyour graphics/design programs all at once. My major mistake was to hire someone else to do the last OS upgrade instead of spending the time to teach myself OS X.
    Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. I'm going to try the image scan approach suggested by LeeTom (great photo)
    wish me luck
    :eek:
    BFN