advice - is there an analog video capture device for mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mapnerd, Nov 8, 2003.

1. mapnerd macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me if there is an analog video capture device and/or software out there for converting 8mm analog video to digital format on my Mac?

2. Alte22a macrumors 6502

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Do Ati make all-in-wonder versions of their mac cards? If so buy one, then you can capture TV.

If not they should at least have VIVO (video in, video out) which is an analog capture format.

4. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

You could also try to find a 2nd hand Matrox RTMac. It has composite and S-Video inputs and outputs, and other neat realtime video editing features (although those features are a bit dated now that FCP can render most of them in software in realtime anyway):

http://www.matrox.com/video/products/rtmacfcp/specs.cfm

5. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Re: advice - is there an analog video capture device for mac?

We had thread on this just a couple of days ago.

Without question, the BEST analogue/digital converter for home use on the market is the Canopus.

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/advc-100/pm_advc-100.asp

Converts all analogue inputs to digital, also converts both ways too, i.e. analogue to digital and vice versa. The only thing that it won't do is convert PAL to NTSC.

Both mac and PC versions available:)

6. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Dazzle makes a product thats called the Dazzle DV Bridge that works to, then the formac, but i agree, the cannopus is by far the best, but you can save a few pennies with the dazzle. Most DV camcorders can do this too, so if you got a DV camcorder, see if it can do it.