advice Mac Pro or iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mashinhead, Sep 27, 2006.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

Oct 7, 2003
    So i'm getting a new computer. I currently have a dual-core g5 2.0 which is up for sale and i have a 20" ACD. I'm torn between a mac pro, which was my original intention, but now i'm considering a 24" iMac. How upgradeable is the iMac in terms of the processor and what to expect in the future as far as chips go? How easy is it to upgrade the HD. i mainly use photoshop, flash, pro tools, logic stuff like that. sometimes movie stuff but not much.

also one of the reasons i'm iffy about the imac is that i have a macbook, if they are comparable in terms of speed i don't feel like buying the same computer twice. But as far as my desktop goes i have a LOT of info on the HD so if i just used the macbook i would be accessing a lot of info from an external hd. and advice?
  2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Sounds like your into the Mac Pro so you can upgrade as you go...get yourself the most affordable model and upgrde all you want. You can't do that much upgrading to the imac so that might be a turnoff to you.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    The CPU on the iMac will need the future "mobile" CPUs that will work in the 945GM chipset ... don't know if there are any in the pipe, since this chipset is on its way out.

Faster CPUs and the next ones will likely require the next 965GM chipset and its faster FSB capability.

Plus the 3GB memory limit will suck soon.

The Mac Pro will give you quite a bit of expansion, even if you never bother with the GPU or CPU.

It'll be awhile before 32GB of memory and 4 SATA drives aren't enough.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    go for the Mac Pro. it is easily customizable and upgradable in the future.
  5. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
  6. budugu macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Since you have the ACD ... i would go for the Mac Pro. The chipsets on the desktop platform are more future proof (esp workstations) than laptop parts. So buy the Mac Pro (atleast you know that atleast you will have one another CPU upgrade to 8 cores!!).
  7. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
  8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    it sounds like a mac pro wit fit yourneeds better especialy since you have an ACD