Advice needed - camera upgrade

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by AT06, Feb 26, 2013.

  1. AT06, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

    macrumors 6502

    AT06

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location:
    Winwick, UK
    #1
    Hi guys,

    I recently bought a Canon 60D from DigitalRev but had to return it for various reasons. They are giving me a full refund and refunding my postage (fingers crossed).

    Now March is getting closer, I'm thinking that the 70D could be announced any minute. So...should I wait and use my ageing 400D in the mean time, or order another 60D?
     
  2. Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #2
    Unless you have a strong need to upgrade right this second I'd wait for the 70D or even 7DmkII. The only problem I see is that Canon seem to be moving everything up in price as they release new stuff.
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

    AT06

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location:
    Winwick, UK
    #3
    The more I think about it, the more likely I will wait. I'm going to be paying extra anyway as I'm going to buy from the UK and not grey, so I might as well just spend more on getting the new version as well. As long as I can get it for around £900 I should be able to afford it.

    Hopefully it will be announced and in stores before the end of March - all this waiting is killing me!
     
  4. Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #4
    I'd not bet on that: the 60D is reduced a long way from list right now. Any new camera will sell for full list price for a month or two which could well be more than list for a 60D. I'd guess at £1200+...
     
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

    AT06

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location:
    Winwick, UK
    #5
    Damn - well I might just wait a bit until around June - July (if it gets released in March) for the prices to drop a bit. My 400D is serving me well, and I've only started photography this year so I want to be sure I'm going to keep it up before I drop £1k on a new camera. I might get a new lens in the mean time to keep me sane with all this waiting!
     
  6. macrumors 68000

    fcortese

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2010
    Location:
    Big Sky country
    #6
    Wise decision
     
  7. thread starter macrumors 6502

    AT06

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location:
    Winwick, UK
    #7
    I've pretty much changed my mind 20 times today. I'm not going to rush into buying anything for the next few months until I'm sure I'm going to keep loving photography enough to warrant some spending. On the basis that I do keep up photography, here's my new plan - let me know what you think.

    Get a 24-105mm in a few months time to replace my half broke 18-55mm kit lens, then a prime lens or two (35mm, 100mm), then in a couple of years upgrade from the 400d to a full frame body such as the 6D (maybe the 6D Mark 2 or whatever is out around then).

    I think the path of glass is a safer bet because they seem to hold their value very well.
     
  8. Moderator emeritus

    robbieduncan

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    London
    #8
    Glass is a better investment that a new camera. Before I bought my 7D I invested in a couple of L lenses to use on my 400D. The lenses made a much bigger difference than the body...
     
  9. thread starter macrumors 6502

    AT06

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location:
    Winwick, UK
    #9
    I'm definately settled on getting the 24-105mm. I don't really shoot that many wide shots so I figure that lens should be a good replacement for my rubbish kit 18-55mm and also be usable if I decide to go full frame.

    Thanks for the help.
     
  10. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2011
    #10
    Save your money and wait for the 80D or 90D, I am sure they will be even better...;)
     

Share This Page