Advice Needed: Design or Development?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Josh, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Hi everyone,

I've been doing web design for a while now, and have extended into all types of design, including print.

Right now I work for the state of Michigan (aka: michigan.gov) where I create and edit content for accessibility. I am also 20 (have 3 more years of university left).

I've always thought about doing programming, but never got into it except for some VB in high school. Recently I've considered switching my major from graphic design to computer science.

I haven't decided yet, and wouldn't be making the change official until next spring, so what I thought I would do is teach my self javascript as an intro to programming and see if I like it.

I know XHMTL/HTML and CSS really well (though I don't consider that programming) and have a basic understanding how a program works, and I am very computer-literate, so I don't think it would be too difficult to begin.

I'm mostly trying to figure out what would lead to a more successful career later on.

I know software and web developers make more money than designers, and that's not entirely important to me, but a solid career is. I love to design, and would almost do it for free if I didn't need to make a living. I just want to get the most out of my education and get a really successful job in the computer industry (be it design or programming).

I'm about to get an associates in mathematics, and if I choose computer science, I would like to pursue a phd (in computer science).

What tips/advice do you have for this kind of situation? Ultimately I know it is me who must decide, but any opinions, thoughts, etc are very welcome!

2. iGav macrumors G3

3. iGav macrumors G3

Oh and there's a no more effective woman repellent than...

I'm a software developer, what do you do?

heheheh

4. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

LOL!

See, that's just the thing. Design is so much fun, but I think developing would be really cool too.

Perhaps an intermingling of both....the questions, the questions...

5. iGav macrumors G3

I think good design (whatever that is, heheh) benefits greatly from the designer having an understanding of the technical process involved in the realisation of their work, whether it be the printed word, a website, a software application, a car whatever. Having knowledge of these processes can allow a designer to, in essence become even more creative because they're more aware of the possibilities as well as the limitations.

There's absolutely no reason why you cannot juxtapose them into something incredibly harmonious, that working in the singular you'd never be able to achieve, or at least not to the same hightened levels of involvement.

http://www.jtnimoy.com/
    http://www.aether.hu/
    http://www.haque.co.uk/
    http://reas.com/
    http://www.hahakid.net/

I think the above links are all outstanding examples of design, development, creativity, art... however you want to label them. I hope you find them as influential as I do though.

6. Josh thread starter macrumors 68000

Josh

Those links are very cool - thanks a lot!

That all reminds me of Arthur Ganson, an artist/engineer who makes the most incredible machines

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm surprised how pertinant this thread is to my own life.

I'm going to be a Senior in the Design program at UWSP, but last year I added a Computer Information Systems Minor. I'm trying to figure out how best to mesh the two, and frankly, I'm not having very much luck.

I'll elaborate more in later posts, but does anyone have any idea what kind of careers are available for Designer/Developers?

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

yes, i have to agree from personal expierence.

nothing says you can't do both.

9. Icespiker macrumors newbie

Do what makes you happy

I just graduated from college last year, in Electrical engineering. I almost did a second degree in CS but decided to start working.. at least for now. I am also somewhat of an artist, so much that I took a class at the community college while I was working on my degree at another university(they didn't offer art classes). Anyway, my instructor was impressed by my talent, that he insisted that I take more of his classes and continue on with an art career. Little did he know, that I was already working on a non-artist career.

With all that said, I love to draw, do video filming and create music, because its a hobby and I'd rather not do it as a career, where your own personal creativity is not suppressed for commercial purposes. Then again, I don't really know what it is like, in the that industry, I'm just going off what my art instructor has said and his years of experience. So, if you can do what you love without too much compromise to your own ambitions, go for it. Hope this helps.