Advice needed for a portable DVD player.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by absolut_mac, Jun 1, 2005.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I'm looking for a portable DVD player with an 8" or 9" screen. I haven't a clue as to who is making good quality (and reliable) ones these days. My only requirements are that the picture quality should be quite good i.e. better than average and that it should be reasonably priced.

So, any specific brand/model recommendations and shops/sites that have a good deal on them.

Thanks in advance, absolut_mac

2. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

I was thinking along those lines as well, only I don't think that one can pick them up for around $200/$250.

If possible that's the most that I would like to spend. Or is that being a little too unrealistic?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think that it's unrealistic if you want an 8" or 9" screen with better than average quality. You can get an 8" in that range, but the screen quality won't be exceptional.

Edit: I've had great luck with Panasonic - I have one of their portables (7") which still works flawlessly after a year and a half, and I have a lot of their A/V equipment. However, a 9" Panasonic will run you ~$400.

6. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

How about this 8" Go Video that I found at NewEgg for under $240, which is also sold by B&H, Dell etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16882101902

Maybe somebody has a Dell coupon so that it can be had for less?

Edited to add the price.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

How about a PSP. Of course you'd need to re-buy all those movies again, but you could play games as well.