Advice Needed for Buying Used Powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by sedination, Jul 24, 2004.

1. sedination macrumors newbie

Hi,

my friend wants to buy a used powerbook and I need some advice on getting a good system for a good price. I found a deal at this website:

http://www.macofalltrades.com/

Here are the specs:

15.2" Titanium Powerbook G4 500 Mhz
    512MB RAM
    20GB HD
    DVD Drive
    Airport
    Price: $900

She intends to do pretty simple things with the powerbook like internet/email, organizing digital photos, word processing, watching dvds, etc. so nothing intensive like gaming.

Is this setup fast enough with OS X Panther? And is it a good price? Could you recommend another store that might give a better deal?

Thanks for your help.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I don't think that is a very good price. My friend recently bought, through this messageboard, a slightly used iBook G4 800MHz 12" with maxxed out RAM and 30GB hard drive for $900. It had the airport installed, and a DVD/CD-R combo drive as well.

If she's willing to spend $900, I would recommend a 800MHz iBook. it would be that much faster, plus burning cd's is pretty great.

Lee Tom

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Is your friend a student? if so, she can get a new iBook for ~$1K with much better specs.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

That price sucks. Go woth an iBook. You can get a brand new one for the same price. Go on apple.com and go down the left side to the special deals section. There will definatly be something there that will catch you eye.

5. vga4life macrumors 6502

Tibooks are the most overpriced macs there are. $900 for a 500 MHz G4? That's just plain awful.

Look at apple's "special deals" page for deals on ibooks and powerbooks. Right now used apple notebooks are a really bad value. (It's a good time to be selling one, though!)

-vga4life

6. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Tell me about it.

Mike

7. sedination thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys! I'll look for a better deal with one of those G4 iBooks.

8. sedination thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, does anyone know if those "Special Deals" you can get in the Apple American Store online are available in the Canada website? In the Canadian online Apple Store I can't seem to find a link to buying used macs.