Advice needed for Laptop purchase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by absolut_mac, Nov 2, 2003.

1. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

(A repost as I originally posted this in the wrong forum - thanks QCassidy for pointing that out and for your advice.)

Okay all you mac mavens, here's the chance most of you have been waiting for (I think).

I'm about to purchase my first mac, a laptop for my daughter's 15th birthday.

I had initially settled on a 12" PB for her, even although my experience with Nvidia graphics cards hasn't been great - I figured it shouldn't be too bad, especially as she's not a gamer.

Now with the release of the updated G4 iBooks, it looks like the 12" iBook is marginally less good than the PB, for about $500 less. Plus it comes with an ATI card too.

The only real advantage that I see of the PB over the iBook is the larger L2 cache, 512M versus 256M. The slightly bumped up G4 speed of the PB is probably negligble when running most applications versus the iBook.

Anybody here have a chance to compare these two side by side? How do they compare speed, ease of use etc? Keeping in mind that both now come with Panther pre-installed :)

All opinions and advice welcome :)

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

what will she be using it for? If she is just going to be doing the normal teen stuff [music, chatting, typing, surfing] then get the ibook. If she is doing any photographic stuff in PS, or editing of any sorts, then go with the pb.

3. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Normal teen stuff.

But, she does like to mess around in PS. Nothing fancy, collages of classmates, calendars and invitations etc. Also, being an amateur photographer most of her pic files are 200KB or less. Good enough for 5" X 7" I think.

4. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

go with the ibook for sure. She will like the color too.

5. RobVanDam macrumors member

I got a question kind of on this topic.

How do the battery lives of the Apple laptops compare over regular usage? (Regular usage being: using the web, word processing, with iTunes playing in the background along with a chat program or two)

6. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

my 900 ibook gets me about 4 hours on full processor and full screen brightness

7. RobVanDam macrumors member

8. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

PB has DVI ---- allowing it to be hooked into almost any display --- that's a big deal to me, especially when the original screen is pretty small

9. theipodgod16 macrumors 6502

yes thats a G3. The only other reason i can think of that she might need a powerbook would be if she needed to burn DVD's. She wont be able to do that on an ibook. But for what you said she does, an ibook will fit the bill. (use the extra money u saved from the powerbook by getting more RAM or buying her a nice case. I reccomend these cases, they're fabulous! (Try the purcell, thats the one that i have)

http://www.willowdesign.com/WillowAppleCatPORT.html#12iBook

10. Robertk2012 macrumors regular

yep thats a G3 baby. I just like the sound of G3 better than G4. Yeah thats it. No really this thing does almost everything i need it to.

11. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

hmm 15 years old? amateur photographer?

i would go with the PB

she's in what grade 9 or 10, if her interest grows in photography so will the need for more power... the PB will be ready to take just about anything she throws it, and if she really likes doing what she does, her needs WILL grow,

especially after switching from PC to a mac.

and that little PB should suit her fine for the time she's in high-school, more so then the iBook

i started with photography, in photoshop, and after getting my mac at around the same age, it quickly developed into video, and the PB will handle video projects better then the the iBook, hell it will handle photography projects better then the iBook

get it with the superdrive, and you've got a state of the art multimedia production machine that any professional would be proud of, and your teenage photographer gasping in awe.. ;)

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

i would say go for an 800 mhz g4 ibook and that would work just fine :) you can always hook up an external dvd burner in the future when cd-r's are obsolete :)

13. Fahd macrumors regular

Based on what you've said I would suggest the ibook for now. When thinking of technology purchases, I prefer to think short term (12 - 24 months max). So if she does get interested in photography/video editing etc later on in life, you will most likely have more options by then. Maybe she'll even get a job and decide to pay for it herself. ;) (Thats what I did! Bought my first laptop at 18 and got my 12" PB last week at 20 - all with my own money.)

14. absolut_mac thread starter macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Yup, I think that's what I'm going to do. Next month I'll get her the 12" iBook, and if she complains because she'd rather have the PB, then she can cough up the difference - cough, cough:D

Thanks everybody for your input. If anybody actually does get a chance to compare these two side by side, please post your thoughts here so that we can all learn, Gary :)

15. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Are the Powerbook G4's on 130nm, and the iBook G4's on 180 or 150nm chips?

I don't know but would love this cleard up, Since getting a straight answer out of MOTO is like trying to draw blood form a stone.