Advice needed on a purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wisredz, Aug 6, 2006.

1. wisredz macrumors regular

Hi there,
    I plan to buy an iMac after seeing what happens on Monday but I believe I could use a MBP with it as well. Now, it will be REALLY hard to convince my parents, but should I succeed, would you advise me to get BOTH?

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

advise you on what?

we have to know what you do with computers in order to see if it is a good idea or a stupid idea

3. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah you're right, I should have written that. Though I don't essentially need the MBP, I could use it for school work, music stuff (mixing and all that), some Photoshop etc. Nothing so fancy.
    I actually shouldn't now that I think on it more seriously. even a Macbook could do for me if I go portable as well. I need the laptop for mainly school work and vacations. I need the iMac because I have no computer whatsoever that is mine. I write all of this stuff from my sister's PC. So, I need a computer myself.
    MBP is stupid as you have stated so bluntly. But I do need the portable one so considering what I have told above, what would you advise?

Edit: I have forgotten to say that I will use both computers for some gaming, mainly WoW, and movies/DVD stuff.

4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

If I were you I'd sit happy with the iMac. It doesn't seem like you need a laptop very much and if so, just get a cheap used ibook so that your parents don't have to shell out so much cash

5. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply.
    I always thought that I'd get a portable when I graduate, but all of a sudden getting it now just seemed so good, I had to ask you guys.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It sounds to me like you're trying to validate the need for both. First, not having a computer of your own isn't the biggest deal and certainly not a reason to run out and buy two on your parent's dime. If they are willing to buy you two then great. I'm not about to pop off about why your parents are silly if they actually do it. But it seems to me that you do not need a laptop at all. You seem young so the need for a laptop at school doesn't quite make sense. If they require you to have one in grades 12 or under then they need to supply it. If you're going to college then get the mac book, it'll do everything that you want and save you space. You do not need both an imac and an ibook if you're just hanging in college. Wait until you are somewhere more permanent before you start buying multiple computer set-ups.

The macbook can be used as a desktop, that is how I use my powerbook.

You also do not need a macbook pro. A macbook would serve you just fine. If you want something for vacations then the macbook with an external display is perfect for you. You seriously won't use both machines as together as much as you think you will. The advice for the imac and the older ibook is perfect if you're stubborn and want both so badly. But the macbook seems like the best choice for you.

But in the end, what we say does not matter. What is the answer you want to read and we can type that for you as well...for good measure that is. ;)

Try a macbook, external display, external keyboard and mouse, icurve and a bag. Get more ram for the macbook and you'll be good. I'd rather max out one setup then get two and not have everything I wanted. Get it?

7. seany916 macrumors 6502

Don't get 2 computers

I agree with getting one portable and purchasing an external screen.

Macbook w/ 2GB RAM and a 20" screen should serve you well. Wait for a 20" Dell Widescreen to go on sale & get it, should be less than $475 after tax. Screen real estate and RAM are where you get the most "bang for your buck" in regards to computers. At some point, you get diminishing returns. The Macbook is a great computer for the money.

Don't buy 2 computers... you're better off selling your Macbook and purchasing a new one every 2 years than having 2 similarly speced (same processor speed) computers at the same time. Waste of money and space.

For the price of a MBP, you could almost get 2 Macbooks. For what you're doing, save the money and get a new Macbook in 2 years. You'll come out ahead.

That said, I'll be picking up another Macbook Pro someday (Merom-Santa Rosa?). My current one is doing great. NO PROBLEMS as of yet. In hindsight, the Macbook would have been a smarter purchase... but the Macbook wasn't released yet when I got it... a G4 iBook just wasn't acceptable.

Good luck

8. jne381 macrumors regular

For what you need this computer to do, you don't need a MBP. I would just suggest getting the the MB. As for having the MB and an iMac, I think it would be foolish to have both. I would ask for the notebook and a nice LCD display for it when you are at home, as well as a wireless keyboard and mouse. The MB is plenty powerful for your needs, but if you really think you need the extra power or graphics card, get the MBP with extra display and keyboard. You will still save your parents money, and let them know it if they were going to buy you both. In any case, upgrade the RAM as much as you can, and also put the largest Hard Drive you can et for it. Third party vendors are a plenty. Crucial or OWC for RAM, and Hitachi makes a 160 GB Hard Drive for the notebooks. The MB makes it really easy to replace both.

Good Luck

9. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replies...
    Now I'm taking a good look at the MB but it seems to me that the GPU is crappy. CPU is fine. I'll need a 2 gb ram boost, which makes the price something like the lesser MBP.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I think the graphics is excellent for a Mac that your parents pay for so you can use it at school. Actually, it is excellent for anything that your parents pay for. If you want a better graphics card, I recommend paper rounds.

11. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no you get me wrong. I'm not forcing anything on my parents. If they say get the MB I'll say OK. The 2 computer idea was just a crazy thought.
    As soon as I read your replies I go talk to my father, he asks some stuff, and when GPU was mentioned, he said that I should get the better one.

Anything they buy me is great. In my first post, I really did act like a spoiled child. That was actually a joke between me and my mother. She told me that she'd like to get me another computer, and I joked about the MBP. Then I took it seriously for an hour or so, and with your constructive comments, left it as it originally was, a joke.

After what my father said, the MB's price is a lot better, and I could get a lot of other things with it to use it as a desktop/laptop. GPU is a real problem if I go that way though.

I'll have your opinions on that as well. Let us say that I will play only WoW... Will it be satisfying? Better than a Geforce4 64 mb MX420? I know this sounds kinda stupid...

12. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

There are multiple threads on this forum commenting on the GPU in the MacBook. Most people seem to be perfectly happy with the performance of the GPU. But this needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Games are taking up more and more resources, much of which require close to the latest and the greatest for the minimum system specs. The MBP would give you a much more longevity, and the MB would be fine for the time being. Not sure how it will stack up in a year or two.

13. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

hi again,
    I have posted something about my gaming needs in the games forum and got two diverse answers :) one said to get the macbook pro, the other said that the MB will do fine for me.
    Today I will go check out both once more and try to make a decision...

14. reflex macrumors 6502a

This is not really true. You can play most new games on older cards (up to a few years), with reduced settings and resolution. This is not likely to change soon, as games manufacturers want to sell as many games as possible. This won't happen if 95% of your possible market can't run the game at all (i.e. most people don't buy a new videocard every year, not even most people who play games).

However, with the MacBook you're already running close to minimum specs now. So even though it can play current games, it'll be unusable much more quickly than the MacBook Pro. How much more quickly? That's near impossible to say.

15. wisredz thread starter macrumors regular

I finally made my decision...
    I do not need a portable computer at the moment, which makes it extremely unresponsible to shell out the extra cash for the portability. Even the 2.0 ghz blackbook with 2 gb RAM is close to 2 gb 20" imac.
    well of course I could use a portable computer just now. But not so to justify paying a lot more for it. When i sorely need the portability I will get a better mac for nearly the same prices for today's market.
    tomorrow I will go out and get th 20" imac along with 2 gbs of RAM, and the wireless keyboard and mighty mouse.
    I believe I have made the right decision. Thanks for all your replies and advices on what I should do. thanks especially for talking me out of foolish spoiled child ideas. iMac is a great computer and I won't be able to use it to its full power until later, and portabilty isn't something I need that much at the moment.
    Thanks again. Hopefully I will have posted pics of my new mac these hours and started getting your congrats :)