Advice Needed: Upgrade iBook G4 or used Macbook or Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ibookluv111, Jun 21, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hello. I am in a tough situation (for me). I have an iBook G4 1.2ghz that I just bought. I just upgraded the ram to 1.25gb, too. I love this iBook, and is fast for me now. But, I only have about 5GB left on my HD. So the problem is, I need to upgrade it. The HD itself would cost $80 on eBay. Plus, I hate going inside the iBooks and would pay my tech to do it for another $80. So, I'm at $160 right there. Now, I've always got high-end prices for Apple notebooks I sell on eBay and think I can sell this for $500/shipped.

Should I:
    A) Upgrade the HD for $160

B) Sell the iBook and buy a used Macbook (for around $600-$750)

C) Sell the iBook and buy a used Powerbook (for around $600-$650)

Please, don't suggest a new computer, because I simply can't afford it. My only options reside in this price range. Thank you all so much for your help, I really need it because I often don't think things through and end up in a pickle, so I am asking for outside opinions. Thanks again!

2. macrumors 68020

Macbook. Whatever you do, don't buy the Powerbook. That's just throwing away money. Ditto with the iBook upgrade, but that's better than buying another PPC machine.

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors 6502

Very sensible advice. You may prefer the PB's form, but the MB will take you much farther in keeping up with new software, even Leopard itself.

5. macrumors 6502

no brainer. Even a first gen CD MacBook will run circles around a last gen PowerBook.

6. macrumors 68040

Neil321

Not forgetting Apples future OS's are now looking to be intel only

7. macrumors regular

Option B = go intel ... I recently upgraded to a Black book and I can tell you that my G4 1,2 GHz looks sooo old slowww compared to the new one.

Saludos

Franz

8. thread starter macrumors member

I think I'm just going to go ahead with the HD upgrade. For what I do, the iBook is plenty of power. I can be patient when working in iMovie, which is where the only slow speed occurs. I also really enjoy the small form-facor of the iBook, and just overall enjoy it a lot. Thank you all for your input, and I'm sure my next Mac will be an Intel one. I just don't want to spend that much money, for power I don't need right now. Thanks again. :)

9. macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If you don't need a lot of computing power. It's worth it to upgrade your current ibook. I had the same one and it was enough for what I do. I hardly ever edit movies or music.

10. thread starter macrumors member

the only thing i ever do is some light imovie work and it works good enough for that. i'm just going to order a HD from Newegg and have someone put it in, because i hate going into the iBooks. Thanks everyone!