Advice needed (worth upgrading to Macbook Pro?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Leads, Feb 22, 2006.

  1. Leads macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    Galway, Ireland
    #1
    I currenty have a G4 power book.
    I can get a new macbook pro through work with a bit of a discount.

    Would it be worth spending the money to upgrade or should i stick with what i've got?
     
  2. itgoesbuzz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2005
    Location:
    royal oak, mi
    #2
    does what you have now do what u need it to?
     
  3. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #3
    It would be helpful to know what model G4 powerbook you have.
     
  4. Leads thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    Galway, Ireland
    #4
    it's a pbook g4 1.5ghz 512mb

    i mainly use it for the web and keeping myself organised. also use it for keeping photos and editing movies.

    I could definitly make do with what i have, it's just i purchase all computer equipment for a large construction company and my suppliers give me a couple of bonuses throughout the year. I could get the macbook for around half price.
     
  5. StealthRider macrumors 65816

    StealthRider

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2002
    Location:
    Yokosuka, Japan
    #5
    If it's a 12-inch PowerBook, then go for the MacBook...if not, you should wait a little longer before you get a replacement- expecially if it does everything you need it to.
     
  6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #6

    Half price? You can get a 1.83 MacBook Pro for $1000? If that is the case H.ELL YEAH you'd be nuts not to. Sell your PB on eBay for $1300 or so. You'll be making money and getting a faster machine.
     
  7. yoda13 macrumors 65816

    yoda13

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #7
    I agree. I don't know what used powerbooks are going for right now, but if you could get the MacBookPro and turn a profit, I say go for it. I would.;)
     
  8. Leads thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    Location:
    Galway, Ireland
    #8
    u convinced me. cheers
     
  9. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #9
    I have a 1.5ghz 15" Powerbook...

    If I was in your situation where I could get a new macbook for less than the selling price of my notebook, I would do it for sure! Possibly make money on upgrading? Are you kidding me?

    However, if I didn't have the luxury of getting a new Macbook for 1/2 off, I'd stick with what I have, which is what I plan on doing. UNLESS... Any chance you could pass that discount along? ;) :D
     
  10. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

    AJBMatrix

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    Athens, Georgia
    #10
    Who do you work for? I could use an extra job for that kind of discount. Man, I would work for that discount.
     
  11. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #11
    haha I'm with ya!
     
  12. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #12
    I will work just for that discount alone FOR FREE :eek:
     
  13. kretzy macrumors 604

    kretzy

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2004
    Location:
    Canberra, Australia
    #13
    I'm in a similar position, in that I can get a MBP for about half price. I'm pretty close to going ahead with it, my reasoning being that if I sell my PB now, I can virtually upgrade for no cost (or maybe even make a little profit)
     
  14. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #14
    Ok, explain yourself please :D
     
  15. AJBMatrix macrumors 6502

    AJBMatrix

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    Athens, Georgia
    #15
    Now am I just sleeping with the wrong people here? I seriously got to get on this. Now, I need a list of company names. I am in pharmacy school so if any of them do anything like that I would be great. If not then I could be an over educated mail room clerk or something...Must have discount!
     
  16. kretzy macrumors 604

    kretzy

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2004
    Location:
    Canberra, Australia
    #16
    I have a relative who works for a major international software company. Part of her benefits include being able to purchase a laptop and getting reimbursed half of it. :p :D
     
  17. airkarol macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2005
    #17
    I just sold my powerbook for $1525 on ebay, I'm going to get the Mac Book Pro, but I'll wait until rev. b. I sold the powerbook so I'd get more for it.
     
  18. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #18
    Hmmm... so do you think now is the time for me to sell my powerbook (see sig) and buy a macbook before it totally looses it's value? If it's value drops significantly over the next few weeks, I'm probably going to be with this one for the long haul.
     
  19. ieani macrumors 6502a

    ieani

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2006
    Location:
    the states for now
    #19
    If you are going to sell, sell now, 15inch powerbooks have been end-of-lifed. But you can still take advantage of the majority of people since most dont spend their time on mac forums.
     
  20. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

    crazydreaming

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2005
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    #20
    I'd do it if I had an extra $300 lying around.. But college is quite expensive this semester :(
     

Share This Page