Advice needed

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by DakotaGuy, Sep 14, 2002.

  1. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

    DakotaGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    South Dakota, USA
    #1
    I really wanted a new desktop computer, but it looks now since I started my new teaching job it is more important to put away some cash and pay up some bills. It looks like I will probably be holding onto my 2+ year old iMac DV 400 for awhile longer. I just bought an iBook last December, but I still prefer the desktop for sitting at in the evenings. I would like to improve the speed somewhat and make the computer more responsive in OSX. It is not terrible right now, but it does lag scrolling and during some dock actions. Now I know that this machine does not hold the power of the newer Macs, but it is still a decent machine and I would like to get another good year to two out of it.

    Right now I have 128MB or RAM installed. It came that way when I bought it and ran OS9.1 like a bat out of hell. I am currently running 10.1.5 on the machine. What I want to know is will I notice any difference in system responsiveness if I fork over a couple hundred and up the RAM to 512MB and install 10.2. Is there anyone here that has a simular system and what was the outcome of doing those things. My iBook also has 10.1.5, but it has 256MB of RAM. All advice would be helpful. I use the iMac for MS Office, IE, Mail, Messenger programs, iTunes, iPhoto, etc. It works okay now, but I would like it to feel like it used to in 9.1 or at least a little more like it used to when it was new. Thanks.
     
  2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

    Rower_CPU

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2001
    Location:
    San Diego, CA
    #2
    I can state that you will see improvements if you get 10.2...that's not even a question.

    OS X loves RAM as well, so that's always a good idea.

    As far as buying now vs. later...it's a tough call. The current iMac/eMac is a great buy...plenty of power and great price. Getting one of those would be a huge step up from your current machines.

    As always with purchases like this, you have to look at the urgency of your needs. If you are fine working on your current machines, invest a little in upgrades for them and save up for something bigger/better later. :)
     
  3. DakotaGuy thread starter macrumors 68040

    DakotaGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    South Dakota, USA
    #3
    Thanks for the advice. When I get some cash in the bank I will get 10.2 and the 512MB RAM and let you know how I come out...
     
  4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

    RBMaraman

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2002
    Location:
    Prospect, KY
    #4
    Rower_CPU has some great points. If I were you, I wouldn't even think about upgrading your exsisting iMac. Sell it, apply an education discount, since you said your a teacher, and buy an eMac. You'll be much happier.
     

Share This Page