Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dezigNergy, Mar 11, 2005.

1. dezigNergy macrumors newbie

Hi all. I was planning on getting a DP 2ghz powermac but decided to wait till WWDC to buy one, by then i'll hopefully get a better powermac for cheaper. The thing is... i need a comp and currently looking for one to use until then. Which means i need one which is pretty fast and cheap so i'm thinking about getting an HP pc refurbished. Here is the one i want...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5174180804&fromMakeTrack=true

I was thinking about a mac but none will be good enough for the price i want it, so what do you think about this pc for using intensive 3d programs and photoshop? What are HP's like?

Thanks.

:)

2. iGary Guest

iGary

If you need the computer, buy it now. Why waste the money you might save buying a get-you-by machine?

:confused:

3. dezigNergy thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just that the updates for the powermac are turning out to be quite huge... and i don't want to buy it now because when they do come out with dual 3ghz/ dual core's i'll regret it. I just want your opinions on this comp just to get me along till then... How well do these machines do when using intensive 3d programs etc...

Thanks

4. iGary Guest

iGary

Well, your first post said that you wanted to wait for price drops, and now you're talking about top-end machines.

I'm trying to help you, but you don't seem to know what you want.

Do you want top-end machine? - buy a dual 2.5.

Do you want to save some bucks? - buy a dual 2.0.

Why waste your money on a makeshift machine when you need something now.

A dual 2.5, or dual 2.0 for that matter, would do anything you needed when properlly equipped..

The point of the matter is, if you need it now, buy one, if you don't wait.

5. dezigNergy thread starter macrumors newbie

I will get one but the updates for these powermac are going to be very big, as i already said... which will result in me getting a better machine for the same price i would pay for the current 2ghz model. I dont want to pay the high price tag for this machine when it's at the end of it's update cycle. So, for the moment being i need a cheeper alternative. As i need a computer which will do what i want... i can't get a mac which will be fast enough for intense use for the low price i want to pay.... so i'm looking at this machine.

Hope this clarifies my situation.

Thanks for your time.

6. dezigNergy thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone? I know windows xp is crappy but i won't be using it for too long anyways. I just need to know if this is a good enough machine...

7. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Buy that one now, then when you buy your new PM, sell the pc.

8. YoYoMac macrumors regular

YoYoMac

Let me tell you something. I was in your shoes just a few months ago. I was going to buy a PB 17" and I wanted to wait for the REV D. But I didn't have the time to wait, because I was in Thailand and I needed a friend to bring it to me from America before I went back to China. So, I settled for the REV C. I have no regrets (maybe except for the dual DVI, I wasn't expecting that.) I don't know how much power you need, and I'm not sure what "intensive 3d" programs means, but I think you'd be happy if you bought now. If you wait, they will just release a little bump in the summer because they aren't really ready or something like that.

My 2 Jao. (Chinese equivalent of cents.)

9. dezigNergy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what i want to do... but i just want to know how good this machine is. Would it be fast enough for what i want it to do? How good is the graphics card?

I under stand what your say YoYoMac, but i explained why i'd rather wait. It's just me.

Thanks for all your help guy!

10. Eastend macrumors 6502

Wow, guy, come to a Mac site, it is Macrumours right? Then you ask about a PC, is that not another site? I for one, have no idea about a PC, so sorry.
    I am sure someone can help, I think? One thing, I do not understand the wait part, but like you said, it's just you, anyway, Good Luck.

Brian

11. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I really don't think you'll find a good CHEAP p/c that will actually handle high end 3D. It's just a waste of money if you're going to be using
    Apple HD software anyway.

If you really can't wait 3 months, then consider a mini or a 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook to use for portable needs, then prepare to spend another $2000-$3999 on a PowerMac suitable for your heavier needs.

12. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

just to throw in my 2 Australian cents. The updates might not be as big as you hope, in fact we've been waiting quite a bit for 3Ghz. now, assuming there will be an update and you MIGHT get the dual 2.5 for a bit less than what you might now pay for the dual 2Ghz. However:
    1) the speed difference isn't all that huge between dual a 2.5Ghz and dual 2Ghz
    2) the resale value of today's top-end pc hw goes down the niagara in just a few months.
    3) Calculate the added cost of software that you'll have to buy, first for windows then for the mac.
    4) you end up probably saving a lot of money by buying the mac right now!
    5) plus you won't have to go through what? 3 months of windoze.

but to answer your question, the pc should run your apps fine. Maybe 2GB ram would do good if you have some hardcore 3D rendering.
    A better option if you really chose to go down the pc path would be to build the pc yourself. often HP and Dell and their like will save on motherboard, ram and powersupply quality so your other computer parts will run slower than they could. also, i would personally go with an athlon 64.