Advice on 19" LCD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jscheiman, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jscheiman macrumors member

To go along with my future PM purchase, I will need a monitor. I have a pretty limited budget for this and was at first just focused on CRT monitors. However after reading many posts I see a pretty good push towards LCD's. In either case I cannot afford a 20"+ if I wanted and have decided on 19", anything less is too small.

I've found what I think may be some decent 19" LCD's but am looking for some help. I'm looking for a reliable and semi-cheap monitor around the $300-400 range. I do create a large amount of graphics with Photoshop and Illustrator as well as do video in After Effects, so color and text clarity are pretty important to me.

I'm not exactly sure what specs I should be focusing on to help me determine which monitors are better than others.

The few that I have found near my range are the:

Dell 1905FP - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...age=productlisting.aspx&instock=&refurbished=

Any of the Samsung 91x versions (910, 913, 915 V series or 912, 915 N series) - http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/...rs+and+Related/Monitor/LCD+-+Analog&pageNum=2

Any recommendations? I thank all you for your help!

2. dont24 macrumors regular

Quite a few people in this forums use a Dell LCD. I have the 2001FP and it's a great monitor for the price.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know if this matters for you but most 19 inch LCDs have the same resolution as a 17 inch one for some reason.

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

With the following coupon code, the Dell 19" is $317

So, with the coupon a new one is less expensive than that refurbished one.

5. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

Wow, not a bad deal. I see however that promotion expires today! Do they run normal specials like this often?

6. AstroManLuca macrumors member

7. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

So what are the most important features to look at with an LCD? The lowest response time, the largest viewing angle, high contrast ratio or high brightness?

What starts dividing the low end fair monitors from the mid to upper level good?

8. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Pretty often. This is the third one I remember seeing in three months. I got my 17" Dell LCD with a similar 30% off coupon. It looks like Dell are aggressively chasing market share on almost everything, since they have so many 25-40% discounts.

I subscribe to xpbargains.com and get an email bulletin twice a week or so.

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I say go for a samsung on newegg.com. I believe Apple uses Samsung panels in a lot of their notebooks and displays. My friend just got a 17" samsung, and it's amazing. Don't remember the model number, but I've never seen it before in stores. The frame around the screen and the casing was tiny and thin. Also, the hinge was almost imac like, and it allowed a good range of movement.

10. Toreador93 macrumors regular

25ms is not that bad, unless you're big into FPS games. A good viewing angle would be something like 160-170 degrees (aka +-60 or more). I think high contrast is more important than high brightness. I think low end monitors have less of the above. Some of the upper level LCDs have more ports, maybe USB or Firewire hubs. Look to spend at least $300 for a good monitor.

If you could spare an extra $100, you might be able to get a Dell 20" (I've seen them go below $500 with coupon). As stated before, the 19" has the same resolution as the 17" (1280x1024). So really, unless you don't like the smaller size, you're still seeing the same amount of information. My friend just got a Dell 17" for less than $300 with coupons, which is nice.

11. anubis macrumors 6502a

If price is an issue, you should just consider buying a 17-inch monitor. I think you will find every 19-inch monitor has a maximum resolution of 1280x1024, which also happens to be the maximum resolution of every 17-inch monitor also. Thus, the apparent or effective screen size will be the same.

My advice: if cost is an issue, save a few bucks and buy a 17-inch. Otherwise, save up for a 20+ incher. There's a reason 20 inchers are more expensive than 19-inchers: you get an extra few hundred thousand pixels. The Dell 20.1-inch 2001fp has been $487 with proper coupons in the past.

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

How about the LG moniters? They look beautiful, and come in 17" and 19" models.

[​IMG]

13. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

So, where do you come across these promotonal coupon codes for Dell monitors. I see that they offer online discounts here and there but I've never seen the coupon code stuff.

14. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There are several websites with this info. I go to www.xpbargains.com

15. jscheiman thread starter macrumors member

16. anubis macrumors 6502a

www.bensbargains.net is the one i go to. dealstobuy.com has a section dedicated to dell coupon codes only because there are so many of them

17. woolybugger macrumors newbie

LCD 19 inch monitor

I just bought a mini-Mac as a learning tool. I like fooling around with different OS and finally Apple offered a machine reasonably affordable.

I had a wonder Hitachi 20 inch CRT that I paid over a $1000 for several years ago. I searced and found a 19 inch LCD I thought I could afford. It is a Sceptre Multimedia X9g. It is fast (12ms) and very clear. There were no dead pixels (yet). I never heard of this brand, but bought it on the strength of comments from customers on newegg.com. It is $346 today.

It works great with Half Life 2 and Halo. I have had it only about a month. I use a KVM switch between the Mac and my PC.

18. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Samsung SyncMaster 910t for $409.97 (Amazon.com price)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Samsung help make a part of Apple Cinema Displays?

Samsung is a very underrated LCD company - its amazing but not as popular...

Anyway, this is a great monitor and has pivoting...

SPECS:

Type: Monitor
    Screen Size: 19 inches
    Native Resolution: 1280 x 1024 pixels x pixels
    Aspect Ratio: 5:4
    Video Inputs: None
    PC Interfaces: Analog VGA, Digital (DVI-D)
    Built-in TV Tuner: None
    Rated Contrast Ratio: 1001:1
    Brightness (Max): 260 cd/m^2
    Supports: 2 Computers, Rotating 90 degrees (Includes Pivot Software)
    Colors: Black, Silver
    Included Cables: VGA, DVI

[​IMG]
    (Above: Earlier model, newer model looks better)
    More images:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00026IO0U.01-A9B09ZK9BZJQ6.PT01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

19. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I also vote for the Samsungs. I got a 191T (19") about 1.5 years ago. I love it. No dead pixels. Very good viewing angle. Very good color reproduction. Fast enough for games and DVD's. Dual inputs, DVI and VGA.

That last feature i have been using a lot on my new PB. VGA for the PC and DVI for the PB.