Advice on APC Powerchute software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Razorhog, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Hey all,
    I bought an APC 1200VA UPS for my new iMac. Is it worth installing the included PowerChute software? I read in the documentation that it can shut down the computer when the unit goes into battery backup mode, but that it only does an emergency shutdown and no files will be saved. I suppose that is better than the machine just suddenly using power, but if the software is not really needed I'd like to save that USB slot for other things. So, does OS X have the capability to detect the APC like it were a laptop battery and shut down when it is on battery power? Thanks

2. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

I noticed the little battery in the menu bar after I plugged in the USB cable. For those of you that use a UPS, do you use the energy saver settings or the software that came with the UPS? If you use the energy saver settings, which is the best option? I have not tested to see how long the 24" iMac will run on battery power...so I'm thinking I should probably use one of the bottom two options which are
    Shutdown the computer when the time left on UPS power is
    OR
    Shutdown the computer when the UPS power level drops to

Suggestions?

3. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

UPS software is built-in to Mac OS X. Just plug in the USB cable and your will get a new menu bar item showing the status of your UPS. The computer will detect when it goes to battery power, and you can control how long it will wait before shutting down among other settings. The only downside I have found is that the time available on battery power is always "unknown". When I contacted APC, their solution was to install the PowerChute software. I didn't want to do that, so I am living with it as-is.

FWIW, I actually lost power yesterday morning. The UPS beeped and a dialog box came up. I shut down immediately since I have the 350VA version but I believe it will provide me with about 10-12 minutes of battery time on my 20" iMac C2D. I have it set to shut down 1 minute after losing power.

4. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Sorry about the cross-post above. Just curious, are you getting a time-remaining figure from the icon on the menu bar? I don't get one on my iMac.

5. dbogey macrumors newbie

Powerchute removal

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to remove the Powerchute software from my iMac (OS 10.4.11)?

Thanks

6. Nick T. macrumors regular

My APC Back-UPS 1300 serves both my Mac Mini and my PC, and the Powerchute software is on the PC.

Just now I connected the USB cable to the Mini. 10.5.1 correctly recognized the UPS and gave the battery level in percentage in System Preferences, Energy Saver. It also allows choosing the type and timing of auto-shutdown on power failure.

There is no control of the UPS available; and that is enough reason to install the Powerchute software.