Advice on ASDL Modem with Ethernet

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Felix_the_Mac, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

I am just about to get a 1Mbps broadband connection.
    I want to access this through my Airport Extreme basestation, therefore I need an ASDL "modem" with an ethernet port.

In the absence of an other factors price will probably be the decider.

BTW I am in the UK.

Can anybody recommend a model?

Thanks

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

all dsl/cable modems should have ethernet ports. if not, its one hell of a weird modem.

3. raytube macrumors member

Hi, I use a D-Link DSL-504 ADSL Router, it works pretty well, it's a 4 port router and it's a switch rather than a hub. It cost about £85. I got it from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk, although I don't see it listed there when I looked just now. The DLink seems reliable as I know of some people having problems with Netgear ones overheating.

Anybody got any other opinions?

Rick

4. raytube macrumors member

5. mithto macrumors newbie

I use a DLink DSL-300G+. That's just a modem, but the Airport does all the routing you need. I regularly use 2 Macs at once.

Setting it up wasn't easy the first time. If you go for this modem, I can give you simple step-by step instructions.

(It seems the Airport refuses IP-addresses in the 192.168.x.x range when using DHCP, and that's just what the 300G+ uses before the ADSL connection is ready. This means you have to reconfigure the Airport twice during setup...)

To Übergeek: most DSL modems have USB ports only and no ethernet!

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

you gotta be kidding. every single dsl/cable modem i've encountered so far has an ethernet port.
    What do you mean by "refuses"? If you customize your setup, Airport assignns 192.168.x.x addresses

7. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    those are usb modems those are crap

get something with ethernet

airport doesnt refuse those adresses

if you set it to dhcp it should take care of it

but if u want to assign them manually there should be no problem

8. mithto macrumors newbie

When you connect a computer directly to the 300G+, and select DHCP on the computer, it receives its IP address from the 300G+. Initially, this address is in the 192.168.0.x range, which works fine to access the modem's HTML-based setup pages at 192.168.0.1. Later, when the ADSL connection is up, the modem will give your public IP address to your computer via DHCP.

When you connect an Airport to the modem, and use DHCP on the Airport WAN port, the Airport starts using some self assigned IP address from a different subnet and hence can't access the modem's HTML pages. You can, however, set the Airport's WAN IP-address manually to something in the right subnet and set up the modem. Once the modem connects to ADSL, you can switch the Airport back to using DHCP on its WAN port and it picks up the public address.

This is independent from the DHCP on the Airport's LAN side.

The problem may be on the modem side, but it does work fine with Macs for all IP-addresses and it does work fine with the Airport when it sends out an IP-address outside the 192.168.0.x range.

Note that you have to set up the modem from the (only) computer that will use it, in this case from the Airport. The 300G+ acts as a pure modem for one computer only, even if there are other computers on its ethernet.

This is nice if your ISP makes you sign an agreement that allows you to use only one computer at a time: you can always put away the Airport and connect and set up the modem from your computer, when there's trouble with the internet connection. The trouble wouldn't be the router's fault, but the ISP might try to blame it.

You can find other people's experiences at apple.com > support > discussions > network > airport > airport extreme > D-Link 300G DSL & AE - The Solution! (or search for "dlink 300g airport" in the discussions at apple/support)

You normally have to go through this setup only once, and the 300G+ is a cheap solution, so it may be worth the extra trouble.

9. cahillj macrumors newbie

10. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I use cable and have a normal modem with ethernet but my dad has dsl and his modem is connected via usb. all thats on the back is a phoneline jack and a usb socket.