Advice on Buying a 17" Apple Studio Display

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mddharma, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mddharma macrumors regular

I need to buy a monitor for a powerbook and saw a few companies selling new, in the box 17" Apple Studio Displays online. The price is about $450. I have always loved the look of that monitor, but am wondering how well they stack up with today's monitors. In addition, I believe for the same price I could get 19" - so I am torn. Any advice? :confused:

2. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

Fantastic monitor. I've used one at school several times at it continually surprises me.

3. mpopkin macrumors 6502

mpopkin

i have one and their color clarity and crispness is better than the new cinema displays and is definetely one of the best on the market. Recommended.

4. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

where did you find it?? im looking for one...

5. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It is an excellent display. I just find that they still go for so much money that one could almost buy a 20-inch cinema.

6. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

Also, does anyone have an Apple Studio monitor hooked up to titanium PB? I have one of those and I am planning to get a new 12" PB.

7. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

the studio displays rock.
    at my university we have classrooms filled with them. drooool, they're so nice. i think if you want to buy an apple studio display, you have my approval! :)

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I love the white/plastic studio displays, just got a 20" about a week ago :D

but personally I think $450 is a little high for a 17"

9. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

10. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

One has the part number M7649ZM/B and the other one is M7649ZMA.

There's either no difference or one has chrome Apple logos (front and back) and the other has graphite Apple logos. Most likely no stores have the graphite logo ones in stock and those store links would get you a chrome logo monitor.

11. carlos700 macrumors regular

All I know is there are two 17-inch ACDs one with a gray translucent apple logo and one with a silver shiny apple logo. Performance\Quaility is the same.

12. mddharma thread starter macrumors regular

:mad: The 17" apple studio displays I saw on line - ARE NOT AVAilable. Not at the price they were quoting. So now I have more thinking to do. There are 2 companies that claim they have them in stock but want close to $650!

I have seen quite a few on ebay in the 250 - 300 range. What do you all think of buying a monitor on ebay?