advice on buying a new iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by krismi, Aug 1, 2006.

1. krismi macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2006
    Hey guys,

I've lost (probably stolen out of my bag) my iPod mini, which I absolutely adored. :( I'm now trying to figure out a few things:

1) When to purchase a new one (wait around a few months, see if something new comes out)

2) What to purchase

Here is the thing. I commute a lot, via car, bus and train. I love listening to music, podcasts and audiobooks while traveling. I also like to go running with my iPod, and I used to strap the mini to my arm without even noticing its presence. I think that I might use the video features of the newer iPods (especially if you can rip DVDs), but I worry that it will be a pain since it is so much bigger than my mini. That said I worry that the nano is so small I'll break it when it gets lost in my gigantic backpack (between my computer, binders, textbooks and other various sundries it is pretty heavy and totally packed).

What are your thoughts on this? I've heard that the new iPod is smaller than the 3G, but sufficiently smaller? Any thoughts on if the prices may change in the near future with new introductions?

Thanks for any and all advice!
  2. Viking Quest macrumors member

Jun 28, 2006
    Wait a couple of months. The new ipod will come out soon.
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    i would wait until september/october which will be a year since the video iPod was released. people are saying that an updated iPod will be released then.

for the interim, consider getting another mini from ebay or getting a shuffle, which are pretty cheap nowadays. i would definitely not buy a video iPod at this time unless you absolutely love the design. i have a nano and it is a little too small for my liking but i am waiting to see what is released later this year before deciding whether or not to upgrade.
  4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    wait if the rumored features entice you and you are ok paying top $ for new cool product.

if not, nano is getting cheaper every week and the video will drop as soon as the new ones come out.

also, consider the refurb section of
  5. krismi thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 1, 2006
    Thanks guys

Cool. I'll wait 'till fall to see about the new updates. And thanks for the info on second hand stuff - I'm always sceptical of used equipment, but it could do the trick for now.
  6. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    Another vote for refurb section of There are minis there for cheap.

I ordered a 2G Nano yesterday for $129.
  7. brepublican macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2005
    Sympathies man. There are some sick sumsofb*tches out there. If you're in no hurry, get a refurb mini. I just got one last week after my 'Pod got nicked and they are awesome! Works like a charm!

If you don't need video and just want music, I'd say thats the way to go. You might want a nano if you run a lot, but I hate those. I need something that feels like I spent that much on it. But thats just me :)
  8. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Sep 4, 2005
    Wait until next week. After WWDC.

There's a thread here, with an Apple banner being hung at WWDC - and every Apple product is on there, other than the iPod 'video' (the 30GB and 60GB) and Apple Displays.

It has been long rumoured the top-end iPods, video capable, will get a total remake - and judging by their age, are due one.

The Nanos are also supposed to be going to 8GB and 12GB.