Advice on buying an external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Oid, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Oid macrumors member

I'm looking to get an external HD for my ibook, which I'll also serve a new powerbook I'll get later in the year (both will use it).

I'm intending it to be mostly storage, mainly for itunes and photos, but also as space for imovie work (so speed will be an issue)... plus if its quick enough I'll maybe use it as more than just storage.

My requirements are vague I suppose, and probably contradictory in many ways.:

a. I'll like it to be small, but needn't be pocket sized (i.e. i'll travel with it occasionally but not often)

b. I'd like like it to have a reasonably high capacity (at least 60 gig) and as quick as possible (within constraints of over requirements obviously), plus I don't need one that outstrips firewire 400 really. Don't think there are even firewire800 drives around yet?

c. self powered would also be cool, but not strictly required.

d. working with my macs are transparently as possible is a big plus.

There seem to be lots of options, but I have difficulty comparing them, especially when it comes to speed.

Thanks

2. conceptdev macrumors regular

I recommend LaCie I have several of their products and they have served me well. The D2 drive is great, actually somone who has an ibook borrowed it once and booted from it and they noticed faster boot times and performance in general. The only downside to the D2 is that its heavy - I doubt you will be able to find a 7200RPM drive that is light and bus-powered. Their portable drives are good to, just make sure you find something firewire not USB.

http://www.lacie.com

3. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I too recomend the LaCie D2. Mine is awesome. Pretty fast, very stable. But it is a bit heavy. That is the only downside though. LaCie D2 Firewire 800's should be available by May I believe.....if you wait till you get the Powerbook I'd recomend that....cause the speed increase would be nice...very nice, when transfering say 20GB at a time...

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

The LaCie FireWire 800 drives ARE available (I have one listed on my store). As soon as I can get additional information on the three other sizes I will be listing them as well. Right now, they are available in 200GB, 250GB, 400GB and 500GB sizes. :eek:

As for the rest of LaCie's d2 FireWire hard drives, I can get those for you as well. I believe I have them all listed on my store. How much are you willing to spend on the drive? At this time, ALL of LaCie's d2 FireWire drives are 7200rpm drives ranging from 60GB all the way up to 500GB (60GB, 80GB, 120GB, 160GB, 200GB, 250GB, 400GB and 500GB).

For myself, I would get the largest drive you can afford... Leaning towards the 200GB and larger mark, especially if you want to fit a lot onto the drive. Also, since you intend to get a new PB later, I'd suggest getting the FireWire 800 model, since you would get higher data transfer rates when on the new PB.

Check out the store and let me know... I might be able to do a little better for you... it all depends on the size of the drive you are looking to get. I've got them all listed below MRSP at this time as it is.

5. Oid thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice people, much appreciated.

I guess I'll have to do some more investigation. The LaCie D2 drive looks promising, though its larger and heavier than I had hoped.

To the person offering the sales webpage, thanks, but unfortunately I am based in the UK not the US.

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I bought a firewire Enclosure and a 2.5 IDE drive separately to back up my Powerbook. (My enclosure is called a Cutie. Weird name, but it is small) I spent around $180 (Mostly because the enclosure is Firewire and USB) Then I use Carbon Copy Cloner to image it. That way I can boot from my external drive in case my internal dies. I can even take the 2.5 out of the enclosure and install it in my laptop if I need to.

Just a thought.

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

Is it cheaper to buy an external case and hard drive separate and make it yourself or buy a fancy packaged one?