Advice on buying DV Deck

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SMM, Feb 25, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I want to save some wear and tear on my cameras heads and am ready to purchase a deck. I shoot Mini DV tapes, but would like to feed directly from my camera to the deck. I would guess the most established deck manufacturers would work well as a capture source for FCS. I am a hobbyist, so price is an issue. However, I also want to buy something which is going to produce good results. I have looked at some models on the web and they range from ~$700 - ~$10,000. That is too large a price range to go into this blindly.

Appreciate all comments and advice.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If all you are pretty much looking for is a device to capture your tapes from just get a cheap MiniDV camera.

Lethal

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Just Buy A Cheap Camcorder With A FireWire Port

With HDV taking over, it would be unwise to buy a deck. Better to simply buy the cheapest DV camcorder you can find that has a FireWire port. By the time you wear its heads out, you'll be on to HDV and need to do the same thing for that format. In fact that's my situation exactly right now. I'm poking around for a cheaper HDV camcorder than my new top feeding Sony HDR-HC7 HDV Camcorder with HDMI out and manual audio in/gain.. :D

Not too many choices are out there for a HDV deck functioning camcorder. I guess if I can dig up an old HC3 for around $700 that wouldn't be too bad. Need to find a new one though.

You can find what you need for about $200 new. Lucky You SD laggard. ;)

4. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

So, the playback quality of a cheap Mini DVD camera is as good as that of my AG-DVX100B, or AG-DVC30P?

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I am probably a couple years away from HD, but one never knows. Still, I did not consider that in purchase plan. So, I suppose the amount of money I spend will be reduced. I wonder about the capture quality of a cheap Mini DV camera. Are there issues?

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yup. Going back and forth between Firewire it's all 1's and 0's.

Lethal

7. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Of course it is, what a stupid question. :eek:

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not a stupid question, but actually a pretty common one.

Lethal