advice on buying first mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ForTheTrees, Jan 4, 2004.

1. ForTheTrees macrumors newbie

Jan 4, 2004
    hi, i am relatively new to this forum...i've been looking to purchase a mac for some time, and i wanted to get some opinions on a used one that i came across:

"Power Mac G4 QuickSilver computer w/17" flat panel display & Harman Kardon Soundsticks; 933 MHz & 1.25 GB RAM; Delta-44 soundcard w/4 analogue ins & outs; Applecare ext. warranty good till May ' 05--Everything mint cond; Perfect for pro or home music studio; Paid $6500 (original receipts available) for system 1.5 years ago; must sell $3000"

i should note that these prices are in canadian funds.
    primarily, i'm interested in purchasing a machine for audio/artistic purposes--running programs such as reason, pro tools, photoshop, itunes, idvd, finalcutpro, etc.
    the price seems fairly reasonable to me, but i was wondering if anyone could share their opinion/experience with this machine and how much it's worth.

i really appreciate any assistance you can give me.
    thanks for your time.
  2. synergy macrumors regular

Jun 12, 2002

Take a look at the going rates on ebay for an idea of price. also sells used Apple computers. Check out what they are selling for.
  3. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Re: ebay

I wouls stay away from Powermax, they are redicuosly overpriced. You can get a good deal on a new G4 from the apple online store
  4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    a new G5 1.6 can be bought for $1800, a new monitor can be bought for $600 and you want to buy a old lousey G4 for 3 grand? go get a new machine with everything you need and stop wasting time on Ebay. go do some homework
  5. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    Maybe you should do some homework -

thats 3000 canadian for the set up

the 1.6 G5 is $2,499.00 and the 17" is $999 so your already at 3500 ... then add the extra gig of ram to make it 1.25 which costs 500 so your now at 4000

add the sound card new for 300$ canadian.The sound sticks are about 250$ ... so your now at over 4500$

Not sure what part of Canada, but if he's in Ontario like i am, at to that 15%

and your total comes to over 5000$ ...

so you've just saved over 2000$ ...