Advice on buying iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacNeXT, Oct 17, 2004.

1. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2004

Next year I could really use a notebook so I'm thinking of buying an iBook. I'm on a tight budget so it will probably be the cheapest model and certainly not a powerbook. I have 2 questions:

What is your experience with 12" versus 14" TFT? The specifications are the same (except there is a 1,2GHz 14" but I'm not gonna buy that one). Is there a big difference in comfort? I really believe I could just as well get the 12" but I want to be sure I won't regret that.

Will there be new iBooks in 2004? And if yes, are they going to be more expensive? Or should I be able to get more power for the same cash if I wait? And what do you think the upgrade will be? 1,5 GHz? Better graphics?
  2. sarae macrumors 6502

Jul 14, 2004
    madison, WI
    Obviously no one can tell what exactly Apple has up their sleeves, but if you took a look at the Buyer's Guide, or any of the number of similar threads, you'd see that conventional wisdom points to an upgrade sometime soon.

Similarly, no one knows what exactly the upgrade would pertain, or if the prices would drop/stay the same. I'd wait a few more weeks.
  3. sangdrax macrumors newbie

Oct 17, 2004

The 12" screen has the same resolution (1024x768) as the 14" one. This was something I almost overlooked. So regardless of the display, apps take the same portion of your screen. The pixels are just smaller on the 12" version.
  4. rufwork macrumors regular

Aug 5, 2003
    I've had a 12" first-revision "iceBook", and I couldn't be much happier. Remember, the bigger screen doesn't come with a larger resolution. All you're really doing is forcing yourself to lug around a heavier computer. If you plan to do much walking at all with your portable, make it a 12" (and for heaven's sake don't cheese out with an education 12"er without CD-R drive).

About the only real advantage I can see in the 14" (other than some [to me] minor hardware upgrades) is the ability to view, say, Word docs a bit larger. Though I read quite a bit on my iBook and enjoy my iMac's 17" screen, I value the "portable" in 12" much more than the ability to view a touch more text a touch larger.
  5. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I love my iBook G4, and I'm very happy that I didn't spring for a PB.

Given my druthers, I would still keep my iBook in lieu of a PB.

I have a 12" 1ghz / 512 / Combo / Airport Ext. and I find it to be the perfect companion for mainly web surfing, iLife and writing.

Couldn't speak more highly of it. It's light, has been very dependable, gets great WiFi reception, is quite handsome (I'm over the whole metal-thing) and really is quite capable.

As far as getting a 14" over the 12", I'd vote for the 12. Yes, everything is a bit "bigger" on the 14, but I find that when traveling, which I do a lot of, I really appreciate how small and light my iBook is. While I carry a case for it, I can often just slip the case into a larger bag or backpack if I need to, or, in a pinch, just grab the thing.

I really feel like portability is where it's at, and so my vote is for the 12" and saving a few bucks to put into RAM...

6. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    Go to an apple store and see for yourself.

The only difference between them is the size.
    I personally find the 14" screen not as sharp as the 12".
    The 14" is also to huge and bulky.
    I'd get the 12" over the 14" anyday.
    If your eyesight is bad, then go for the 14", since everything well be a little bigger..

I forgot, you can have a superdrive in the 14", thats a plus for someone.
  7. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    i agree if you have bad eyesight get the 14" otherwise defiantly go for the 12" there is no point as they are the same resolution, the only benefit is for watching dvd's.