Advice on Buying Imac G5 or Powerbook G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kaufy, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Kaufy macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2005
    Hi All. I have a G3 12'' ibook and a 5 year old PC desktop. Both computers are still working, but neither are fast enough at this point. I do a lot of photography and web browsing. I use phtoshop elements, but I am thinkning of eventually getting the full version of photoshop, especially since I am a student and am elligible for educational pricing. Anyway, I'm ready to upgrade, but I'm not sure which to tackle first. When I went to the apple store to get some advice I was immediately told to get the iMac G5 with the 20'' monitor, but since viewing some postings on this website, I was thinking that perhaps getting a new powerbook (maybe the 17'') would be a better use of my funds. I can still use my ibook if I need portability and I can still use my PC for when I'm at home so it's just a matter of which product to get first. I also have not entirely switched so perhaps I'm a little hesistant about giving up my PC, but I would do it if the g5 is the way to go. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks so much!
  2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Unless portability in your main computer is important to you, an iMac will always be a better buy than a PowerBook.
  3. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004

G5 vs G4
    600 vs 167 Bus speed
    SATA 7200rpm vs ATA/IDE 5400 rpm
    20" vs 17" ;)
  4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    Yeah, since you've still got your beautifull little and very handy iBook go for the G5 - more computer for less money... especially if you're considering the 17"PB. Which is a lot less handy than the iBook (I've tried them both), though not really a problem if you have a good bag for it... the question is if you need that much power when your away from home... OR you can go by with the iBook in those situations AND have even more power than that on your desktop!

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    If you do a lot of photography and have or are thinking of getting a Digital SLR then this for me is a no brainer - go powerbook - you can view your photo's on location to check exposure, or slow sideshows to your friends away from home. I believe the flexibility of the powerbook is more important that brute speed of the G5, in any case photoshop does not need a fast processor, but it does like lots of RAM. To be honest the current PB's are not that much faster than the current iMacs.
  6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Excuse my ignorance but what's a Digital SLR?
  7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    An SLR is a type of camera... A digital SLR is obviously one that takes digital pictures instead of film cameras. SLR cameras are relatively expensive (though not necessarily extremely expensive), fairly large, and lenses are not built in, but rather sold separately. Below is an example of one:

8. Kaufy thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 24, 2005

Thanks to all of you for responding so quickly and with much good advice.

PS a Digital SLR (Single lens reflex) camera is basically a what you see is what you're actually taking a picture of. If you want more info check out this link:
  9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    It really is that simple: with the PB, as is typical of laptops in general, you are paying a premium for portability and sacrificing power vs. a desktop. Go to the test sites, if you're interested, such as macworld, barefeats, macspeedzone. A fast G4 can hold its own with a slower G5 in some things, but just gets outclassed in others.

Just to restate the obvious, if you don't want portability, there's little reason to get a portable.
  10. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    but even with its 167 mhz bus and slower hard drive, a modern apple g4 powerbook will totally outclass your g3 ibook or five year old pc desktop

even any consumer level mac today like the mini mac or ibook (both which use a g4 processor) can easily handle the full version of adobe's photoshop

either machine will do the job
  11. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    Sorry I think every one understood what I meant but of course the last sentence should have read

To be honest the current PB's are not that much slower than the current iMacs.

12. 840quadra Moderator

Staff Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Twin Cities Minnesota
    Thanks for the good read everyone!
    I am in the same boat, except my choices are PB, and a DP G5.

Since I have, and will continue to have a Dell laptop for work, and they are fine with me using it, and taking it on personal adventures, I think I will go with the DB G5. I don't often edit my photos on the road, so having a powerfull computer at home will get me more gains.

Thanks for the help!!