Advice on Canada

Discussion in 'Community' started by iJon, Aug 30, 2005.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Well it's about that time where I start planning out my Winter Break vacation. Europe was proving to be to expensive for a couple of my friends so I suggested going to Vancouver, since it's a wonderful place and close by.

I've been to Vancouver many of times, but not since I've been older in college and started doing my own traveling by myself. Now I need some advice for things to do from our fellow Canadians.

Our plan so far is to just fly to Seattle and spend a couple of days there (never been to Washington) and take the train up north. I figured we would stay for about 2 weeks and only side trip I've thrown out there is to go skiing again up in Whistler. What I want to know is if Vancouver is worth spending that long in? Should I take a train and visit some other cities like Toronto and so forth. I am just basically making a rough draft for my trip and since I'm not going with a tour group this vacation I can pretty much do whatever I want. Also when throwing ideas out there, just factor money as a non-issue.

Thanks for the help in advance.

jon

2. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I've spent two weeks in Vancouver (BC) and there's a **** load of places i haven't seen (mostly because my daughter was with me). There are a lot of night clubs with lots of major acts playing most every week. Cirque de Sole was there last time i was through.

The outdoors are wonderful and they have some great falls to check out and play around. I've heard the mountain bike trails/parks are top-notch. You can go hiking just a few minutes north of the city. :)

If you're green, i think it's Homer street that has some of the head shops. Nice people. :) Tons of vintage shops and lots of cool little shops with thier own clothing lines. And a million good places to eat out at.

Victoria might be nice; i've never actually been.

I'd suggest looking up some of your favorite musical acts and grab some tickets ... most likely someone good is playing while your in town. ;)

And if you get bored Seattle is only a few hours away. :)

peace | neut

3. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I think you should spend a couple days in Vancouver, then head up to Whistler for a couple days of skiing. Since you said you wanted about a 2 week vacation you could spend 1 week in BC then fly out east for a week. If you were to go out east I would say either go to Toronto or Montreal. Their both great cities, but very different.

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If you were to go to Victoria, I wouldn't spend more than a night there. It's a very nice city but it is quite small and there isn't really much to do there.

5. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Montreal (been there for a business meeting) is nice but I doubt we will end up traveling that far east. I really think with Seattle, Vancouver and possibly skiing we could spend our 2 weeks in that general area. I'll probably need to get my Canada and Vancouver Lonely Planet guides on order.

jon

6. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

OH YEAH!! I went to Vancouver this past June--LOVED IT there! I drove up to Whistler also (too bad snowboarding season was over, but the bike trail was open) Plus there was still SNOW on the mountain tops everywhere! Vancouver is a great place--I stayed at the Hilton in Burnaby which is about 5 to 10 minutes from downtown but the Hilton was located right beside the 2nd largest mall in Canada!

I loved Stanley Park, and the Capilano Suspension Bridge is really cool--those are some of the really nice tourist sites! I tried to go just anywhere to check everything out! THere is so much to do and I was only there a week! One thing I noticed is HOW NICE people are there! And they are lucky to live somewhere so beautiful! THERE was only one day when Mount Rainer appeared through the clouds--I WAS mesmerized the moment I saw it--truly BEAUTIFUL!!

Next summer I want to take an Alaskan Cruise from Vancouver! :)

7. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

An Alaskan cruise was nice but not that nice. The whole time I was on the cruise I realized I could have a lot more fun if I had just taken a plane to Ketchikan or Skagway and do my own thing. Either way though, Alaska was beautiful, it's an expensive trip though.

jon

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Ok I'm gonna tow the company line here,

Come to Banff! With our tri-area pass you get your choice of 3 Great Resorts (Norquay, Lake Louise and Sunshine Village) all with just one pass!
    Ski Banff - Lake Louise - Sunshine

lol, ok sorry for the spam but since your asking about Canada anyways and you seem to be interested in skiing. Atleast I can justify my browsing Mac Rumors at work now :p

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heh...

Really depends what you like doing. If you're here for the nightlife, then stay in Vancouver because we pretty much roll up the sidewalks at night.

Vancouver Island (the southern tip of which Victoria is perched on, while Vancouver is on the mainland -- go figure) has awesome shoreline, hiking, small and not so small towns, open ocean beaches (no hurricanes, just the occasional tsunami warning), fishing, skiing (but Whistler/Blackcomb just north of Vancouver is world-class if youre there for the skiing, and more great ski areas inland a few hours). The Gulf Islands between Vancouver and Victoria have a lot of laid-back lifestyle, crafts, folk stuff, BC Bud (oops didn't mean to mention that), there are a lot of places to get lost in and relax if you want to get out of the fast lane.

Victoria city has a reasonable amount of 'attractions' from museums to art, antiques, botanical gardens etc. All depends what you're into.

The train from Seattle to Vancouver isn't particularly cheap, and it is faster to drive (about 3 hours). It may be worth your while to rent a car in Seattle and go that way.

Don't consider hitting Toronto from Vancouver - you'll spend all your time travelling - it's like 4,300 Km. Do Toronto/ Ottawa/ Montreal as a separate trip.

10. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I have lived in vancouver for 15 years now I can honestly say I have not seen everything this city has to offer.
    The night life is OK, the are much better party cities. the outdoors are fantastic, from scuba diving, kayaking to mountain biking and skiing this city has it all.
    the international film festival is going to be here in late sept/early oct and is worth checking out.
    the museums are really good too especially the museum of anthropology at UBC.
    the prices are higher than other places, especially housing, food is great with virtually every culture represented somewhere in town.
    A day trip to Victoria is pretty good idea there are some nice sights there but can be done in one day.

11. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

Interesting your brought that up. About a month ago I did some research on Amtrak. I swear that I saw that a one way trip from Seattle to Vanc was about 30-40 dollars. Is that correct or am I way off. We have also considered renting a car in Seattle and having a fun drive across the border then dropping it off that day.

jon

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Go to Banff, Alberta, or anywhere in Alberta for that matter. Then take the train to Alaska.

13. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

CanadaRAM, That is funny about the BC bud...I was walking down the street (I called it a little mini Amsterdam) when I came across the smell of bud in the air. Then I looked around at the shops and it was mad marijuana leafs on everything! I realized smoking bud had to be legal in Vancouver or something was going on. :D

I was on the business trip with my boss...I had some training to do at the company Creo Systems in Vancouver. But anyway, I walked by the head shops and bars and I wanted to take so many pictures because it was blowing my mind it was legal there! Although I didn't because I didn't want my boss to think I smoke or give me a drug test when I got back to work LOL...and BTW I don't smoke, but I have friends who do of course! :)

14. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I don't think it's legal there, but it is very tolerated when it's kept in the shops. You do see some of the street people smoking it openly and occassional see some one light up at a coffe shop, but im pretty sure it's not legal.

You can by it in a few shops, but a lot of them also offer some crazy herbs and seeds that would have you running around naked for days. It's good to inform yoursef before ingesting any drug (especially those of you on perscription drugs). Did you know pure caffine is lethal to humans?

Yeah, seeing pot leaves on business fronts (street side) is fun. The open mindedness in BC is what i like. :)

peace | neut

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm going from long ago experience, when the train was as expensive as a flight. But maybe its different now.

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Not legal to sell, not precisely legal to use, but nobody cares much if you aren't selling. The shops (and there are not a lot who sell bud, you'll find that most of those you saw sell hemp clothing and various 'accessories' but not the weed) get busted if someone complains to the police they are selling.

17. neut macrumors 68000

neut

So, that's why the shops had different names and slightly different locations when i cam back year later. ;)

Yeah, most of the ground level places aren't selling; they seem to get the most traffic. The ones that were seem to be invisible to the street, but are easily found once you start chillin' out and asking around. Hey, i'm not complaining. :D

peace | neut

18. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

If you're going to be in the area for a couple of weeks I would suggest going to the island (Vancouver Island) and heading out to Tofino and Longbeach. It'll be an overnight trip (or one long day) and there's lots of stops to see stuff like Cameron Lake and Cathedral Grove (Horseshoe Bay ferry to Nanaimo, to highway 4 to Port Alberni to Ucluelet/Tofino to Longbeach). If you have more time you can take a day boat trip down the Alberni Inlet on the Lady Rose. If you're a bit of a hiker, Grouse Mountain in Vancouver is worth it, take about an hour to get up (stair master the whole way, affectionately known as the grind) and a great view of the lower mainland. Also Canada's largest waterfall is at the end of Great Central Lake, outside of Port Alberni (on the island), you'll have to set something up with a local excursion place (only way to get there is boat and portage). Then there's the west coast trail. Great hike, will take a few days to do the whole thing but you can do bits.
    If you want to head east from Vancouver the Fraser Valley is quiet a scenic drive, at least to Lytton, then if you're already going that way and want to make a couple of days of it go for the Kootenay's and then Kicking Horse Pass to Lake Louise and Banff. If you go this far I would highly recommend a drive up the Icefield Parkway to Jasper, and then back again cause it's sure worth the trip. Then take the Crow's Nest down through southern BC (actually a desert) see some cool stuff and then be back in Van. If you do something like this bring a camera and lots of batteries and RAM.
    Hope you have a good one

**EDIT**
    changed a link