Advice on Computer Workstations, Desks...What do you MR members own?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by asencif, Oct 23, 2006.

1. asencif macrumors 6502

Hey MR members....I've been shopping around like crazy for a an L-shaped workstation or regular computer desk for my Mac setup. I'm curious to know where you get your furniture and maybe even provide links of good sites. I'm looking for nice setup to match a mac pro and ACD.

Pics of your desks would be cool too. I've found a lot of Bestar workstations online, but mostly from sites like computerdesksnmore.com and audiovideofurniture.com. Seems like there isn't many reviews on these sites. Thanks.

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    There is a very lengthy thread in the "Community" forum in the "Pictures" subsection.....I think it's called something like "Post your Mac setup." Loads of photos of every possible kind of desk/workstation imaginable!

As for mine, I have two, and I got both at Staples; they're made by Z-Line. I saw them in the local store first, and then ordered each of them online at different times. The larger one is the Z-Line Matrix Compact Desk, Item #473068, Model #31745 ($199.99) and the smaller one is the Z-Line Expo Glass Desk, Model #SP4052-1D (I have misplaced the sales slip but I believe it is around $75.00). I was tempted to order a second Z-Line Matrix (larger desk) instead of the smaller one, but reason prevailed and I knew I was limited on space. The iMac is very happy on the smaller desk! Each desk is constructed to allow an extra shelf/monitor stand rising above the main part, but in both cases I did not want that; IMHO the desks are more functional without it. The larger of the two has a glass keyboard shelf, while the smaller one has a metal keyboard shelf.

The larger desk is 48" wide and the smaller one is 33.5" wide. I really love them -- they provide plenty of work space and they're elegant and functional.
    I got the larger one back in mid-June and then after I ordered my Mac Pro and knew I'd need additional work space, I went ahead with getting the smaller one. I'm very happy with both of them!

Mac Pro is positioned on the floor at the left of the large workstation, and you can see the G5 iMac.....

3. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow....Thanks a lot for posting pics and all the information on your setups. I was originally looking at getting these desks, however I could use something bigger as I have multiple monitors and Macs. This does make me want to look a the Z-Line Glass L-Shaped Workcenter though. Also, I will look at that thred. Thanks.

4. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Clixpix, why three computers and all those external hard drives?!! CRAZY:eek:

5. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

Actually, I've got four Macs: my first one is the G5 iMac you see in the photo, and then not long after that I bought a 15" PB for traveling and portability, and then after the Intel Macs started coming out I succumbed to temptation and bought a MBP while I was waiting for the Mac Pro to be announced. In the photo what you're seeing is the printer at the very end, on the other side of the iMac, then the 20" G5 iMac, then the 30" ACD for the Mac Pro, so actually only one full computer in the photo! The Mac Pro is on the floor at the left of the larger desk, out of the picture. I also have Universal Power Supply surge protectors hooked up to each computer. The MBP and the PB are over across the room, the MBP sitting on an iLap on a small table and the PB sitting on an iCurve on a nearby chest. Yeah, it's kind of crazy -- I've got a lot of computers for just one person! LOL!

Actually, I had intended to sell the PB at the time I got the MBP but then bought the ACD and hooked up the MBP to that to use in the interim while I was waiting for my Mac Pro. That worked a treat! The PB then was once again pressed into service for toting around. Now that the Mac Pro is here and set up and the MBP back in service as a portable machine I'll probably at some point sell the PB.

The Mac Pro and all the external hard drives are because I do a lot of photography stuff. Never can have enough storage!! The Mac Pro has two internal 500 GB HDs, so that should be good for a while.....

When I was looking at how to set up the room I would have liked to have used the extra corner piece to have made an L-shaped configuration out of two Matrix desks, but that wasn't going to work in here so I decided to do this arrangement instead.....

Here's another photo from a slightly different angle:

6. amiga macrumors 6502

amiga

Do you think the keyboard and mouse tray is a good idea..? I have one on my desk but would like a new desk, the ones in the pictures are cool but I find the sliding tray means that the keyboard can't easily sit centred up with the screen and still allow full use of the mouse. What do you think?

7. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

I prefer a keyboard tray because that way I have room in front of me on the workstation surface for making notes on a piece of paper or for using the Wacom Intuos tablet, etc. Easy enough to position the monitor so that you've got things lined up right! I also prefer the height of the keyboard vis-a-vis my chair so that I can have both feet on the floor. I'm kind of short and if I've got the keyboard and mouse on the workstation top I have to raise my chair higher so that my feet then no longer can touch the floor. This is not an issue for a taller person, of course.

8. asencif thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your input on this thread. What brand of UPS do you have hooked up to your Macs? I am planning on connecting my Mac Pro to one and a power strip with other devices. Thanks again.

9. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

You're welcome! Glad to share my experience! Both backups are made by APC; the one on the iMac is an RS 1200 and the one on the Mac Pro is a Smart UPS 1500. Up until now I had been just using multi-plug power strip surge protectors, but realized that probably it would be a good idea to have more protection on the Mac Pro in particular. Each UPS unit is plugged into a different wall socket, of course. I consulted with a friend who is in the computer/electronics business and he advised me as to what to buy and what power level.

10. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

i searched on staples.com for that desk but it looks a little different.

[​IMG]

^^ this one doesnt have the pull out slot for the keyboard

11. mavherzog macrumors 6502

I bought my desk "stuff" at Ikea. I've got a large L-shaped configuration. Starting from left to right:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the final corner of my office:

[​IMG]

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

I have the same desk. It really is great!!

Mine also has the monitor shelf. Link

update: Out of stock